The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 10:20 AM

Flywgn will become famous soon enoughFlywgn will become famous soon enough
Default An F-ing Day on the Big Wood

No, I hope you're not thinking ill of me.

Fine weather, Fish, Friends, Food = Fun

In-laws (son-in-law's parents) visited with us for a few days and the father asked about the possibilities of sneaking in a day of fly-fishing. No problem for me.

Monday and Tuesday (12th and 13th) the wind blew like a son-of-a-gun, and the forecast didn't look too good, though it called for lesser 'breezes' on Wednesday. We set Wednesday for the day to 'sneak' out.

It was Fine. The air was calm, and the temperature was cool.

My guest is a relative newcomer to Fly-fishing and I didn't want to challenge him immediately with Silver Creek, though I new that the morning was best there. We chose to get wet first on the Big Wood near Stanton Bridge (two brown trout), then went over to Silver Ck (three nice rainbow between us), and after a streamside lunch went north of Ketchum and worked our way downstream (several rainbow each plus Neil released a whitefish, his first). Ended up in Bellevue where we met our spouses for a Fabulous dinner (grilled Arctic char for me).

The Big Wood was running swift but the water was clear. It did make for rather dicey wading on the upper stretches. Fortunately, I know several landowners and we had access to the river uninterrupted by visitors.

With the exception of the beginning at Stanton Bridge where we used nymph patterns (hare's ear and prince), we used various dry-flies—parachute Adams, caddis, pmds—and had success with all. In fact, at one point on Silver Ck I looked at a trout lying in the shade of a cutbank (on a pvt ranch downstream from the Conservancy) and tossed a mouse-rat a few times, bouncing it off the bank in imitation of the myriad voles in the area now. No success though, so returned to the parachute Adams, and still didn't get that fellow to give me a look. I hate to think just how many imitation flies those trout have seen.

We both released Fish at every stop. I was delighted that my guest had success. What a way to celebrate my 74th.

Allen R
Old 07-30-2010, 02:23 AM

rollininzona is on a distinguished road
Default Re: An F-ing Day on the Big Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywgn View Post
No, I hope you're not thinking ill of me.

What a way to celebrate my 74th.

Allen R
Congratulations Allen - on both a Fun day of fishing, and making 74 years!

I spent almost a week in Ketchum a few years ago -my 40th- and while mountainbiking was the focus of our month up there, I did get to sample fishing in the Wood. It was a challenging river. Henry's Fork was cake by comparison.

Many more Fun days to you!
Old 07-30-2010, 09:16 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Allen: Happy Birthday! Looks like you setup a great day on the water for the in-law's father. Very nice report, thanks for sharing.........take some photos next time!

Larry
Old 09-30-2010, 08:48 PM

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm really sorry that I didn't see these replies sooner. Careless of me not to look.

Had a GRAND day on the Big Wood this past Tuesday. Skunked on Silver Ck in the a.m., but made up for it that afternoon on the B W.

A friend from Franklin, TN, was in town, so I secured a guide from Lost River Outfitters for the day. Our friend is in show business and is on tour with a couple of days break. She wanted to "drown some flies", so we set out early Tue a.m. to meet the guide at Silver Ck. God, there're big fish in that stream! I've been skunked there before, but usually I release a few nice ones. Not this time.

My friend managed a few small ones, but none of the submarines cruising upstream. Browns are beginning to spawn and we didn't throw any of the really big attractors at them, just a dry with a dropped midge.

After lunch we fished near Hailey and my guest had hardly gotten her line out before bringing a nice fish to hand. As the day matured I was satisfied, so dropped out in order to take some photos of her in the river. I won't post any now until she chooses ones she might want for her own use. We lost count of the fish she released. None was over 15 or 16 inches, but lots of them. She did have a larger fish on at one time but failed to bring it to net.

I was quite satisfied with my day, especially since I began to have success after I convinced our guide that I wanted to ONLY use a dry (a #14 Adams). I loved it.

Another nice day on the Big Wood.

We're off in a day or two for the Owyhee.

Thanks again for the good wishes.

Allen R
Old 09-30-2010, 09:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Allen: Sounds like you provided a pretty nice day of fishing for your friend, I can't wait to see the photos!

Larry
Old 10-01-2010, 10:04 AM

Don't hold your breath, Larry. Our friend probably won't get a chance to post them on your web site (assuming any photos are good enough to use) until she returns to TN.

BTW, looking at your avatar, do you get over here to Mtn Home occasionally???

Allen R
Old 10-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Happy birthday Allen!I wish I have such a Fine day on the water when I'm 74
Old 10-01-2010, 03:25 PM

Merci bien, jbb.

Ummmm, near Montpellier. The Ardèche is the only river I've fished in your part of the world. It was another grand day, albeit many years before I even thought of 74.

Allen R
Old 10-02-2010, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Merci bien, jbb.

Ummmm, near Montpellier. The Ardèche is the only river I've fished in your part of the world. It was another grand day, albeit many years before I even thought of 74.

Allen R
Never fished this one Allen...it's a very touristic area and in summer there are more canoe hatches now than fly ones...they even have a river"police" to regule the traffic
Old 10-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Don't hold your breath, Larry. Our friend probably won't get a chance to post them on your web site (assuming any photos are good enough to use) until she returns to TN.

BTW, looking at your avatar, do you get over here to Mtn Home occasionally???

Allen R
Allen: I flew the Warthog while in the Air Force, I retired back in 1988. In August I drove through your area, the wife and I were headed out to Bend, OR for a visit with some great friends. On the way out we stopped at Swan Valley, ID and met up with Kelly (kglissmeyer1) for a little fishing in the evening. We didn't hook into anything but I had a great time meeting a fellow forum member and learned a couple cool tips that I can use elsewhere. Going across ID I always take hwy 20 headed west out of Idaho Falls and it dumps out onto I-84 there at Mtn Home and then I go north up to Ontario and then take hwy 20 west over to Bend.

Larry