The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By stenacron
  • 2 Post By fyshstykr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 10:51 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Good News for Utah Anglers?

Got this in an email this morning;

Monday, May 21, 2012

COURT MAKES KEY RULINGS IN FAVOR OF PUBLIC ACCESS TO UTAH STREAMS

Today, Judge Derek Pullan of Utah’s 4th District Court issued a much-anticipated decision in the Utah Stream Access Coalition’s constitutional challenge to Utah’s Public Waters Access Act, also known as H.B. 141. While the decision in Utah Stream Access Coalition v. ATC Realty, et al., did not fully resolve all stream access issues in Utah , it did resolve several highly-contested issues in favor of stream access, including:
(a) the waters flowing in Utah’s rivers and streams are and have always been owned by the public
(b) the public has an easement to use its public waters in place for any lawful purpose, including all recreational activities that use the waters
(c) these rights are protected by Utah’s Constitution
(d) legislative authority to regulate the public’s right to use its public waters in place is limited by public trust principles.

Judge Pullan also ruled that the Legislature exceeded its legislative powers under the Utah Constitution when it passed H.B. 141.

Judge Pullan requested further briefing on whether H.B. 141’s access restrictions violate public trust principles. USAC counsel is working on the supplemental briefing and is cautiously optimistic that those efforts will result in a favorable ruling on that issue.
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good News for Utah Anglers?

Fingers crossed.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 05-23-2012, 12:29 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

"Send lawyers, guns, and money!" Warren Zevon
Old 05-23-2012, 04:04 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully, this situation of stream access will turn around in favor of the public! We can only hope.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
"Send lawyers, guns, and money!" Warren Zevon

Luckily the "lawyers" working with USAC are working 'Pro-Bono'. "Guns"....being Utah, there's plenty on both sides of the fence. And "money", well that's where the pitfall is.
The public wants access to these waters but so far has not really donated that much to help in this fight, and the landowners have plenty of $$$.

So here's a "shout out" and a thank you for the lawyers helping USAC. If you would, check out the USAC site and tell them their efforts are appreciated, maybe even donate a buck or two, it would help cover some of the cost associated with this effort.
Happy New Year from Utah Stream Access Coalition « utahstreamaccess.org
fredaevans and milt spawn like this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Last edited by fysh; 05-23-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:53 AM

utah kelly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh View Post
Fingers crossed.
Fysh! I didn't know there where other fly fishing victims like me in Plain City!
Old 08-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

R U kidding me!!! Are you from PC too?

Old 08-04-2013, 07:19 PM

utah kelly is on a distinguished road

Well I lived out here just west of the high school for 5 or 6 years but I just recently moved back up to north Ogden. Love plain city though.