The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stenacron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 02:20 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Green River below Flaming Gorge

Got a quick stay-over in Rock Springs, WY next Friday night and looking to take my first crack at wade fishing the Green River below Flaming Gorge Dam. My plan is to be in Dutch John a little before first light and fish from dawn 'til around 10:00a and then hit the road for home. This is more of a "feel it out and get the lay of the land" type of quick hitter, but I would like to get into some fish as well.

So my question for those with Green River experience, would I be better served to access the river just below the dam and hike it downstream, or drive to the Little Hole access and hike it upstream?

Click the image to open in full size.

Also, if anyone has fished it recently (or ever) and could offer up some tips to a Green River Greenhorn it would be much appreciated.

Tight lines!

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 08-10-2012, 03:55 PM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Green River below Flaming Gorge

little hole is the better wade fishing. It is too bad you coukld not stay longer. I have only done well once at that time of day on the river.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Joe: I like Little Hole, at the dam you park your car up high and then after fishing have to climb the staircase to the parking lot.
Check out this hatch chart: Hatch Chart
Looks like Terrestrials, Caddis and PMD's.
Also check out these fishing reports: Green River - Below Flaming Gorge | Utah Fly Fishing Reports & Conditions

Green River Fly Fisher - Fly Fishing Report for July 29th, 2012

Green River Report - WR FLY FISHER

Old 08-13-2012, 10:59 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Thanks guys! I'll report back after my "swing by."

Old 08-18-2012, 11:53 PM

Well, unfortunately not much to report on the "catching & releasing" - although I did manage one fairly small rainbow around 7:00am and one long-line release on a fish of unknown proportions.

I got in the water around 6:15-6:30 and was back at my vehicle before 10:00 as I had to get on the road. So, good scouting mission anyway... beautiful place, lots of wildlife... I'll have a better feel for the flow rates and wadeable areas before returning which was the true intent anyway.

'Til next time...

Sunrise adding the "flames" to Flaming Gorge just above Little Hole

View downstream from "outhouse beach" (about 2 miles upstream of Little Hole access).

My most interesting catch... rescuing a large sculpin from a mud pit where he got stranded in the dropping water levels.

Green River... can't argue with the name,

Parting shot from Little Hole Overlook

Rest of the pic's if interested:
Flaming Gorge | Facebook
jpbfly likes this.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful river....It's one of Larry's favorites...I know whyThanks for sharing