The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 6 Post By stenacron
  • 4 Post By fyshstykr
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 08:50 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Middle Provo River - 09/06/12

Got out to the middle Provo River near Midway, UT Thursday afternoon/evening... conditions were very good and the fish did not disappoint. Overcast skies, mid/upper 70's, breezy (blustery at times), and terrific water levels (286 CFS) produced a cool little "party mix" of mayflies and had the trout looking up all afternoon. Put 21 in the net, missed/lost another dozen or so, and all on the same fly (and it's still hanging on my drying patch).

A few pic's...

Overcast skies were the rule of the day.
Click the image to open in full size.

Best fish of the night... a tic shy of 18 inches.

Smallest fish of the night... maybe ever! All creatures great and small though.

The beautiful cliff pool... pictures do not do it justice.

Couple more in the 14-15 inch range.

Threatening skies finally dragged off to the east, leaving a double rainbow in their wake.

Tonight's killer - #14 Partridge & Yellow. The larger fish took it on the dead drift just as it started to cross, and the smaller fella's grabbed it at the end of the swing.

And as Judas Priest once sang, "In the last rays... of the setting sun."
Joni, imxer, fysh and 3 others like this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 09-08-2012, 10:58 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Yatzi! So wish I lived close to a river like that...well at least less than 4 hours away (by car)
Old 09-09-2012, 01:43 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Middle Provo River - 09/06/12

Good to see the river fishing well, we'll be on that same section next Sunday morning with the gals from the 'CFR' retreat.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 09-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

It looks like you caught 2 rainbows too. Nice report, and fysh, have fun.

Ard
stenacron likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-09-2012, 08:05 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

The pool below the cliff is my favorite spot to fish. Caught a lot using purple WD 40's.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:25 AM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
The pool below the cliff is my favorite spot to fish. Caught a lot using purple WD 40's.
i personallyy like the riffle at the top of the pool.

steno, did you hit any of my suggestions this summer?
Old 09-13-2012, 07:48 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah daveii View Post

steno, did you hit any of my suggestions this summer?
I haven't (unfortunately), yet.

It was a largely fishless summer for me outside of handful of trips. It seemed like that part of the state was on fire for two months in a row. Too much work, and too much running around getting my daughter set for college...

Maybe now is the time though to check those spots out.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 10-03-2012, 02:52 AM

boowill is on a distinguished road

Nice report. The middle is on fire right now. JUJU baetis and a bwo barrs is also killing it.

Last edited by mcnerney; 10-03-2012 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Removed link to fly shop.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:07 AM

tennessee dave will become famous soon enoughtennessee dave will become famous soon enough

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a wonderful time.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:41 PM

mysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to all

Terrific job on the soft hackle...you inspired me to tie some for my upcoming trip this week-end. Your smallest fish would fall in the upper 1/3rd for the length distribution of the fish population on some of the smaller streams I like to frequent. Although, I can imagine that fishing a large river like the Provo is great fun.