The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By Tree Catcher
  • 1 Post By dakotakid
  • 1 Post By milt spawn
  • 1 Post By troutdoorsman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 09:37 PM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about
Default Rain, Rain go away

Spent last weekend in Reno... Girlfriend wanted to go to Vegas, I was bored there besides I found out that the Truckee River flows right through Reno. The plan was for her to go gambling and me to go fishing. We arrive Friday and head to the Orvis store. The nice gentleman suggested some flies and suggested a few areas to try. He also gave me some advice on the catch rate, "If you catch zero fish on your first day you had a great day, if you catch zero fish on your second day, you still have had a great day." So with that in mind I get the flies, leader and the all important 18 dollar fishing license for the day.

Next morning I awake to dark and stormy clouds. I think to myself that well the fish are already wet, they wont mind the weather. I drive up to one of the areas the gentleman from Orvis suggested and over the hum of some industrial equipment, I get into my flyfishing outfit for the day. I walk past the graffilthied up rock and hop into the water. I cast out into a nice run but no fish. I hike up the river and find some soft water right behind a log that had fallen over. Upstream from me are a few bait fisherman, one is casting out lures while the other looked to be bait and wait fishing. Neither one of them were closer than a hundred yards so I cast behind the log and I get a fish to hand. Second cast same thing. Third cast no bites but realize that my flies are caught up on the indicator. About this time it starts pouring.. Stupid me I left my hat at home and my jacket in the jeep... Well with fishing this good I am not leaving.. I stayed in that section and had probably 20 fish to hand. The guys that were bait fishing were hunkered down under the bridge and watching me. I hope I put on a great show especially with each cast a quick pic and released back into the river. I would have moved around a bit more but with the rain coming down in buckets I cut it short after about a hour in that section. A quick call to the hotel had the GF putting some coffee on for me. It continued to rain all day and it didnt clear up until later that evening... Ohh well the GF had fun and lost all of her money and some of mine but I can't wait to get back there again. Fishing will probably never be as good as that one section but I would have liked to fish more and just enjoy the scenery.I did go back and get the jacket on during a lull in the rain though.. I had to get back there and see if I broke the toy
The drive up had me stopping in Mammoth to purchase chains for the jeep... Yeah I know with 4x4 you don't really need them but by law according to the chain checkpoint on the way to Big Bear last year, you must have them in your vehicle. We had some snow up at Crowley and ran into some patches past Mammoth. Never did put the chains on. Ohh well onto some pics
Some of you might know where this is:
Click the image to open in full size.
abit more help... hint it flows into Crowley
The drive up
First fish
This one was fun
another nice fish
Right below that log
Downstream, Yep its beautiful up here
The jeep in its natural winter setting
Old 11-21-2012, 12:02 AM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Rain, Rain go away

Looks like a lot more fun than gambling!
yonder likes this.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:20 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm lovin' the pictures of that little river man! Everything here is iced right now and I'm relying on you guys to show me the water!

Good post here,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-21-2012, 05:58 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Great trip report and photos. I have heard the same thing about that river, it is a tough technical place to fish but can be rewarding and hitting the water in bad weather can sometimes turn the fish on. Congrats on the great fishing and putting on such a wonderful display in front of the bait fisherman, wonder if those guys are now looking into fly fishing.

Larry

Larry
Old 11-21-2012, 05:35 PM

nicknick222 has a spectacular aura aboutnicknick222 has a spectacular aura about

Good old Mcgee creek

Great story and glad you showed up those bait fisherman! With the winter we had last year though, Im praying for as much rain as we can get.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:52 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Nice shots there Sean! What we really need is a good snowpack this season, time release water. milt.
mikel likes this.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:48 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Large chunks of Washington and Western Oregon have the same wish .... "Rain, Rain go away!"
Old 11-23-2012, 07:29 PM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Large chunks of Washington and Western Oregon have the same wish .... "Rain, Rain go away!"
If you could, could you please send it down south to sunny and DRY southern Ca? We could really use some replenishment on the locals out here, I havent seen them this low in a few years
Sean
Old 11-27-2012, 01:08 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

The Truckee can be your best friend or your worst ex girlfriend. All in all it is one of the best rivers I have fished. Next time you come to town give me a holler and I'll show you around
bent crosshairs likes this.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:32 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

If you live on the banks of the Rogue River ... button up, things are going to get interesting.

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 14339000 ROGUE RIVER AT DODGE BRIDGE, NEAR EAGLE POINT, OR