The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 07:33 PM

rockriv is on a distinguished road
Default Streamers for trout in Utah?

Ill be moving out to UT in the fall and I'm trying to expand my knowledge as much as i can prior to arrival. Ill be fishing the Provo mainly. Im curious as to the streamer fishing there. I know nothing about streamers and ive only dry and nymphed the provo previously. Im curious as to...size of streamers and what patterns are good, techniques, and time of year the technique is good. I just put together a great steelhead setup with 10ft 7wt stiff rod. From my reading ill surely be able to use that for tossing heavier streamers right?

Thanks in advance to everyone!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:37 PM

Default streamers for trout in Utah?

I posted this as well in the Western US section of the forum but i think anyone with western states knowledge of trout fishing can be of assistance.

Ill be moving out to UT in the fall and I'm trying to expand my knowledge as much as i can prior to arrival. Ill be fishing the Provo mainly. Im curious as to the streamer fishing there. I know nothing about streamers and ive only dry and nymphed the provo previously. Im curious as to...size of streamers and what patterns are good, techniques, and time of year the technique is good. I just put together a great steelhead setup with 10ft 7wt stiff rod. From my reading ill surely be able to use that for tossing heavier streamers right?

Old 04-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: streamers for trout in Utah?

You should send a PM to 'fysh', hes got the Utah thing down pretty well I think.

By the way I merged the threads, you'll need some at your destination to help you out.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-13-2013, 04:50 PM

not a very successful topic...
Old 04-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Since I'm in Alaska I avoided trying to give advice on Utah but........................

I fished Utah as well as many other states and found that essentially, trout are trout, and in most circumstances the feather wing streamers I used in Pennsylvania caught fish everywhere, even to this writing here in Alaska.

Whatever you are currently using with success will in all likelihood work well for you.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-13-2013, 08:36 PM

Thanks Ard!! I just looked into some feather streamer patterns. Have to grab some pheasant next time im at the shop! Thanks
Old 04-14-2013, 12:46 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriv View Post

not a very successful topic...
I saw the topic, but don't really have much to add here. Not much of a streamer fisherman myself, but most are designed to draw a reactionary strike from the fish. Provo River has lots of Brown Trout (2000-3000 per mile), and they'll be aggressive in the fall, so if you're having success where you are now you'll do well here in Utah.

Check with the guys at Fish Tech Outfitters (Salt Lake City) and/or Four Seasons Fly Fishers (Heber City) when you get to town... they will hook you up with local favorites (if any).
Hardyreels likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-14-2013, 06:58 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I'm a big fan of swinging streamers! Sometimes I just get into a rythym of casting (down and across), take a step, another cast, daydream, step, cast, listen to the river sounds, step...you get the idea

oh, sometimes I catch fish
imxer likes this.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:18 PM

jmac321 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriv View Post
I posted this as well in the Western US section of the forum but i think anyone with western states knowledge of trout fishing can be of assistance.

You did not say what waters you want to fish, in Utah. This info may help you get the Info you seek. The Colorado river is all I can help you with, Platte river special. Brown and yellow streamer worked very well for me on several trips to the Colorado river in Utah. Check with the local fly shops in the area for what is working. I can't recall the size I was using but, how big a fish do you want to catch? Bigger fly bigger Fish, not always but some truth in it.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:27 AM

jmac321.

within the thread I started I cleary state THE PROVO river. Thanks for you help. to all the others that read the post and saw my interest about the Provo thanks! I have actually been to Four Seasons Fly Shop before in Heber. Awesome little spot!