The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 10:57 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: And here comes the water...

@Dean that is good insight I did not realize that. Could explain why I see more shucks than bugs.

Click the image to open in full size.

Edit- I have always been told they are golden stones here, but after you peaked my thirst for knowledge I think they might be Skwalas. After some research I formed this conclusion based off of the nymphs and size.

Last edited by shortyb; 05-09-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:49 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever name you give it that is certainly a nice big chunk of a Stonefly.

I don't know how to identify stoneflies very well. I know a Salmonfly when I see one because it is ridiculously big and always has bright orange markings. The little Yellow Sallie is pretty easy as well. Otherwise, I don't know.

This spring I came across some stones hatching on the lower Bitterroot when it was supposedly still to early for Skwalas. But they were pretty big, about #10 so larger than the earlier hatching "Nemouras" but pretty dark. All the patterns you see for Skwalas are green, and I've seen some green bugs for sure, but also black and large brown ones. Unless of course there are different species of stoneflies that all hatch at the same time in the spring and we just call them all the same name. I'm fine with that, just don't be fooled into making all your "Skwalas" green! I've also encountered a hatch on a small stream during what would have been Salmonfly time, and they were big, but all tan in color. Goldens? Maybe. Luckily I had some tan elk hair and hare's ear tarantulas that did the trick!

My point is that there are a lot of stoneflies and they are very important to fish. Just match up the size, then approximate the color. I personally think it's better to just have some tan, dark brown and black ones tied up.

Get out there and fish some of those see what happens!

-----

add:

Short of reading entomology text books, it's difficult to come by factual info about bugs that interest fisherman because of the sheer number of hits you get on the innernets when searching for common names of "flies." Anyway, Troutnut.com does a pretty good job in my opinion. Here is the spring stonefly discussion, if you are interested. But I think you're correct, probably a Skwala hatch you've got there on the other Rock Crick! Lucky you!
http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/1123/S...ge-Springflies
shortyb likes this.

Last edited by dean_mt; 05-09-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:53 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyb View Post

Edit- I have always been told they are golden stones here, but after you peaked my thirst for knowledge I think they might be Skwalas. After some research I formed this conclusion based off of the nymphs and size.
That is a Skwala - female

Click the image to open in full size.

Interesting thing about Skwala's, the males have short (non-functioning) wings, and they can only crawl about for the most part... so all mating takes place in the streamside rocks and vegetation. As a result they find themselves in the drink a lot and big trout prowl the banks.

I do well on the middle Provo River here in Utah high-sticking a #10 Prince Nymph with a clipped Antron wing when the shucks start showing up on rocks and bridges. They've been "on" here for the past 2-3 weeks.
shortyb likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring