The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 11:54 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default And here comes the water...

The long cool spring appears to be over. Area rivers have been running below historical averages all spring. The fishing has been stellar by all accounts, unfortunately I've only taken advantage a few times. We had more snow last week, then rain and saw a small bump in flows late last week but then leveled off.

Saturday was overcast and high 60s all day, I knew it was the last best day of fishing for awhile. But I was tangled up tearing off an old porch roof! As if that just could not have waited... Sunday the mercury climbed to the mid-70s, yesterday it was 78 in Missoula with overnight lows forecast to remain in the 40s for the rest of the week.

I was walking down the street yesterday and saw a friend at the stop sign, we called out the window, "ya get out this weekend?"

"NO!"
"Me neither."
"It was the last chance."
"Maybe today still...Clark Fork?"

I shrugged and continued back work. But the seed was planted. I split work at 4, grabbed my stuff and dogs and headed to the closest access to my house. I had about 2 hours to be back home. The Clark Fork was clearly on the rise, off-color and too fast for much fishing. But the Bitterroot side of Kelly Island (where the two rivers meet on the South edge of town) was much nicer. The water was barely tea-stained and easily waded. It was sunny and warm and just lovely to be standing in the river. I tossed a caddis and PT soft hackle dropper over a nice little shelf. Easy fishing that lets the mind clear and wander...my medicine. I felt a couple taps at the soft hackle on the swing portion of my drift and saw no rises. Switched the dry for a small muddler and continued to swing slowly. I gave it a couple strips and a sharp tug and a nice little brownie full of fight left the water a few times before I released him. One last fish before the run-off season.

The charts were showing consistent upward trends since Sunday, and today they are steep.

Here comes run-off season! I'll sneak a day or two in to try to hit the Salmonfly hatch at Rock Creek next time the flow stabilizes for a day or two. But for the most part, the next month is painful; beautiful sunny days and warm evenings that last past 9pm and no option to fish. That old roof on the house is calling to be torn off next...that'll keep me busy for little while I wait it out to fish again.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: And here comes the water...

Good to hear you found a fishable water and caught a last fish before the run off season...aren't there any small streams or creeks that remain clear in your area Dean?
Old 05-07-2013, 12:46 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if you got the two storms that went over southern Oregon (past two afternoons) but they were corkers. T and L and a down pour. A good thing, we need the rain badly.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:10 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

The closest rivers to me (Provo and Weber) are both tailwaters so hard telling what the release plan will be day-to-day. This is generally when the flows start climbing, but as-of-today they are still holding back in the reservoirs at 60% and 70% of normal flows (respectively).

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-07-2013, 01:11 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Good to hear you found a fishable water and caught a last fish before the run off season...aren't there any small streams or creeks that remain clear in your area Dean?
Yes, there are JP. In fact there are many many creeks that come out of the mountains and feed the Bitterroot. But they do not open till the end of May and by then it's less a matter of the water being clear, they will just be raging out of the mountains and these are all generally pretty small creeks many shooting down through rock canyons. But they drop faster than the big rivers and are fun to fish while waiting for the rivers to get into shape. I'll survive...I have for the past 14 seasons here. At least now I know what to expect. I remember my first spring here, I was amazing by big everything got and for how long. It still amazes me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Don't know if you got the two storms that went over southern Oregon (past two afternoons) but they were corkers. T and L and a down pour. A good thing, we need the rain badly.
That didn't make it over the mountains, Fred. But there is some rain in the forecast this week.

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
The closest rivers to me (Provo and Weber) are both tailwaters so hard telling what the release plan will be day-to-day. This is generally when the flows start climbing, but as-of-today they are still holding back in the reservoirs at 60% and 70% of normal flows (respectively).
Get it while you can, Joe!
jpbfly likes this.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:12 PM

mattneeds is on a distinguished road

Fished the LBF two weeks ago and the fishing was awesome with streamers with the water flowing at just under 100 cfs. Drove by the upper Clark this weekend and even though the water was noticeably higher than last week it was just barely off color. Talked to this guy fishing as there was a ton of PMD's (it looked like) and stones coming of the river...looked like it was awesome fishing.

Dean you should be fishing the MO, fishing is absolutely crazy right now and the flows are perfect.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:44 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

I always forget how much warmer that side of MT gets. Yellowstone is blown out now, but Stillwater and lesser known Rock Creek are still really nice till about July depending on the weather.

I feel for you though Dean, I work 2 blocks from the creek and we had stoneflies in the parking lot today. All I can think about is tossing some big bugs, like you guys get to do in the early spring. I feel like I might have just missed it though.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattneeds View Post
Fished the LBF two weeks ago and the fishing was awesome with streamers with the water flowing at just under 100 cfs. Drove by the upper Clark this weekend and even though the water was noticeably higher than last week it was just barely off color. Talked to this guy fishing as there was a ton of PMD's (it looked like) and stones coming of the river...looked like it was awesome fishing.

Dean you should be fishing the MO, fishing is absolutely crazy right now and the flows are perfect.
Love LBF and I always forget that it has an extended open season. I heard that the upper Clark was still in decent shape...but it's way early for PMDs. Drakes, March Browns, Baetis and Olives...so who cares what the name is!

I know, I never get the Mo as ridiculous as that is for the fishery it is an only a couple hours away. But with a 4 year old at home I just don't get to pack up and take entire days off for myself very often. I'll get up there this spring, along with everyone else from Missoula!

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyb View Post
I always forget how much warmer that side of MT gets. Yellowstone is blown out now, but Stillwater and lesser known Rock Creek are still really nice till about July depending on the weather.

I feel for you though Dean, I work 2 blocks from the creek and we had stoneflies in the parking lot today. All I can think about is tossing some big bugs, like you guys get to do in the early spring. I feel like I might have just missed it though.
Yellowstone is toast already? You must have gotten warmer earlier than us. What kinda stones are hatching on Rock Creek? I've never fished there, though I've taken good looks at your streams the couple times I've gone out there to take my gun hikes while watching Muleys graze a half mile away just across the fence line!
Old 05-08-2013, 01:38 AM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post

Yellowstone is toast already? You must have gotten warmer earlier than us. What kinda stones are hatching on Rock Creek? I've never fished there, though I've taken good looks at your streams the couple times I've gone out there to take my gun hikes while watching Muleys graze a half mile away just across the fence line!
Yellowstone went the past few days from what I have read. The reports say choc milk in Livingstone.

We get a small golden stone hatch here. I have yet to witness more than just a few on the water but have seen 100s of shucks in some sections. Must have missed them by a few days. Which I fear is the case now. I still fish a hopper/stone dry later in the season after awhile I figure they memorize the food source.

You should try fishing it some time if your in the area again. Smaller water but awesome dry fly fishing.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyb View Post
Yellowstone went the past few days from what I have read. The reports say choc milk in Livingstone.

We get a small golden stone hatch here. I have yet to witness more than just a few on the water but have seen 100s of shucks in some sections. Must have missed them by a few days. Which I fear is the case now. I still fish a hopper/stone dry later in the season after awhile I figure they memorize the food source.

You should try fishing it some time if your in the area again. Smaller water but awesome dry fly fishing.
Big golden stones are nocturnal, so if you are seeing even a few during the day you should definitely still try tossing some around. Fish have memories, and they love those big bugs!
shortyb likes this.