The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Western U.S. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/western-u-s/)
-   -   Wet wading tail waters? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/western-u-s/320205-wet-wading-tail-waters.html)

rockriv 05-23-2013 08:07 AM

Wet wading tail waters?

When the weather warms up is it ever possible to wet wade rivers like the provo, weber, green? Seems that temp on provo is normally always around mid 40's which seems way cold to wet wade regardless of outside temp.

cochise 05-23-2013 08:16 AM

Re: Wet wading tail waters?

Wet wading within 2 miles of the dams will be Cold.

I know a few guys who can do it and typically they are in shallow water...45 degree water on the old jewels will make any man I know suffocate.

A pair of hippers might be in order if shallow wading.

I fish the Pan, Gunny and Green and I get to cold in the limb when wet wading...Move a lot and you are way better off.

dwtalso 05-23-2013 08:39 AM

My lower limit for wet wading is 40 water but I don't wade deeper than just over my knees when it's below about 45. Submerging the femoral artery at that temperature chills me to the bone, literally. Also, below 45 I have to move around fairly frequently to keep my feet from numbing up.

utah kelly 08-01-2013 12:23 AM

I wet wade the Ogden all summer long. The canyon stretch within a few miles of the dam. I typically wear my waders when I fish the weber and Provo but not because of water temps. If I was up on those waters without my waders I wouldn't think twice about wet wadding.

williamhj 08-01-2013 09:35 AM

I wet wade tailwaters (not the ones you listed) and also wet wade mountain lakes that are fed by snow / ice a few hundred yards above them. It hurts at first but legs quickly numb up a bit and I don't notice it. Catching trout helps me ignore all sorts of discomfort. If I was wading very deep it might be harder but I find knee to thigh deep is tolerable especially if it is a sunny day. I'm not a fan of hiking with waders.

utah kelly 08-01-2013 11:32 AM

Down here in Ogden it just gets to dang hot to wader up during the summer months. Soaking in water coming from the bottom of the lake is a refreshing idea when it's 90+ degrees out. I try not to fish too much when it's that hot out but I guess you could say I have a "problem".

fredaevans 08-01-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cochise (Post 558702)
Wet wading within 2 miles of the dams will be Cold.

I know a few guys who can do it and typically they are in shallow water...45 degree water on the old jewels will make any man I know suffocate.

A pair of hippers might be in order if shallow wading.

I fish the Pan, Gunny and Green and I get to cold in the limb when wet wading...Move a lot and you are way better off.

This may well be the "Post of the Day." Don't know the rivers listed above but the water coming out of Wm. Jess dam on the upper Rogue will run between 48 and 52 degrees. When it's 95 in the shade (fairly normal here) it's BLISS! Context: 95 in the 'shade' will be about 110+ standing in the sun.

By UK's post above, he knows where-of I speak.

utah daveii 08-01-2013 11:45 AM

Green--I would wet wade, no problem. Selective withdrawal structures keeps temp in the mid-50

Lower Provo--No, it is too cold.

Middle Provo- Wet wade (same as green)

Weber--Depends on the section and flows.

rockriv 08-05-2013 01:44 PM

Thanks guys! Im starting to get very excited here. Moving from Cleveland, OH to Park City at the end of this month!!