The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By stenacron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 01:35 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Uintas/Mirror Lake Highway - Utah

Anybody fish the alpine lakes in the High Uintas?

Kind of a new discovery for my family, but I can see us spending a LOT of time throughout there. We did a little exploratory trip recently just to feel it out, but I did sneak in about a dozen casts walking the Mirror Lake shoreline (10,200 FASL).
Click the image to open in full size.

Even managed a little planter Tiger before a pine tree swallowed up my Peacock Bugger. Packing the waders (next time) would make all the difference in the world.

The information I gathered claims 600+ alpine lakes and streams with Brook, Rainbow, Tiger, and Cutthroat Trout to be found as well as Arctic Grayling in a few lakes. Golden Trout (from Wyoming) are back in the mix as well according to the DWR officer I spoke to at the Outdoor Show earlier this year. I was just curious if anyone else here fished the area and cared to share some tips, stories, etc.

Here's a link to some of the trails and fishing opportunities: High Uintas

Lots of other reasons to spend time there as well (of course).

Tight lines, and happy summer!
mcnerney and cpiercem like this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 06-12-2013, 03:22 PM

the_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Uintas/Mirror Lake Highway - Utah

we spend alot of time up there as well. I have taken up trail running and its a great place to do it, and it would be a shame not to wet a line as well
Old 06-27-2013, 02:38 AM

streamborn_jr77 is on a distinguished road

went up there last year. I only made it too mirror lake but really wanna check out some of the higher elevation lakes that you have to hike in too... Mirror lake was pretty awesome though lol i was throwing a size 12 stimulator out to the middle and was getting slammed every other cast... It was fun
Old 08-01-2013, 12:00 AM

utah kelly is on a distinguished road

I do a lot of backcountry Flyfishing in the high Uinta wilderness. Love the place. Do some hiking and get out there a ways. Nothing like having a high country lake all to yourself for the weekend. Solitude in Gods country fuels the soul.