The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By streamborn_jr77
  • 1 Post By hyperpycnal
  • 1 Post By shortyb
  • 1 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 10:40 PM

hyperpycnal is on a distinguished road
Default Green River Info

First time on the Green River... Pretty Excited... Looking to do a full day float trip with the wife. I am still a beginner but have some experience. She has zero experience.

- Any recommendations for outfitters, more specifically guides (patience a strong attribute considering our overall experience)

- Section A or B, both? I have heard the A run is a bit more scenic.

- Plan on using my 9' 6wt.

- Any and all suggestions welcome.

Cheers
Old 07-06-2013, 10:56 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green River Info

I'd definitely recommend doing the "A" Section first. They call that section the aquarium, when you see it you will understand. The river flows through a deep canyon that is probably 1,000 ft deep, it is just flat out gorgeous. The estimated fish count there is in the neighborhood of 10,000 fish/mile, it will mostly be rainbows, cutbows, cutthroat with a few browns. The "B" Section is just the reverse, mostly browns with a few rainbows thrown in. The wife will definitely enjoy the float. I can highly recommend James Boehm as a guide, he works for Old Moe Guide Service.
Guided Flyfishing trips Green River, Fly fishing the Green ,Green River Fly Fishing Outfitters River and Flaming Gorge, Utah Fly fishing guide Service
imxer and shortyb like this.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:56 PM

streamborn_jr77 is on a distinguished road

Dont forget your camera! It really is one of the if not one of the most beautiful rivers i have ever seen! I have not floated it but done some wading down there in the A section ! Good luck your gonna have a great time!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:31 AM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

Colby crossland at Spinnerfall and John Sparger are good guides. Colby is a friend. Definately do the A section first,
Old 07-07-2013, 12:57 PM

hyperpycnal is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the information guys. Much appreciated.

Really looking forward to the trip. I'm trying to set the schedule where we are on the river on a Wednesday to avoid traffic. Ill upload some pics afterwards.

Cheers.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperpycnal View Post

Really looking forward to the trip. I'm trying to set the schedule where we are on the river on a Wednesday to avoid traffic. Ill upload some pics afterwards.

Cheers.
Good idea, the weekends can get pretty busy, plus the tubers really like that stretch of river.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:17 PM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

Old Moe all the way, seems like they are all good guys and love their waters.

I will be out there end of this month, be staying with some the guys and girls. Lucky me I know! Last weekend my friend fished with Cody and said big bugs on top, so I'm real excited and hope they are still looking up when we go.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:28 AM

shortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura aboutshortyb has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperpycnal View Post

Cheers.
Waiting for that update, I'm getting really excited for our trip. Could use more motivation and insight as to how the fishing is.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:29 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyb View Post
Waiting for that update, I'm getting really excited for our trip. Could use more motivation and insight as to how the fishing is.
Can't provide a word of 'information' but with these trips to water(s) I'll never see, I love Google Earth and the 'fly by' function. What you see in areas below dams is 98% likely what you'll see 'boots on the ground.'

A vicarious thrill.
shortyb likes this.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:45 AM

utah kelly is on a distinguished road

In my experience the "A" has always produced more brownies than anything. At least since I have been fishing it anyways.