The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By liesta

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 12:53 AM

twistedjeep is on a distinguished road
Default white moutains az

need some insite on tackle and stream selection? any help would be great!
Old 09-06-2013, 11:36 AM

liesta is on a distinguished road
Default Re: white moutains az

Although I'm no expert, I have been fishing the White Mountains for ten years.
I find a seven foot 4 weight rod works the best in these small bushy streams, with a dropper setup. All of the streams have fish, but you have to do some walking to get away from the bait fisherman.
If you have any other questions fill free to contact me.

Carter
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:08 PM

swampdonkey has a spectacular aura aboutswampdonkey has a spectacular aura about

Don't neglect some of the reservoirs up there. Not as scenic as some of the small streams but there are some hefty browns in some of them.

We did well chucking streamers just before dark.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:08 AM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

I'm an AZ native and have fished the whites extensively the past two years. A 7'-7.5' 3 or 4wt will cover most situations on the creeks and a 9' 5wt will do well on the reservoirs.

If you want to do yourself a favor get a permit from the White Mountain Apache Tribe to fish Christmas Tree Lake. You'll find many willing, golden colored Apache trout that will take drys and chironimids. They are mainly big fish, too.

A little more info would be great depending on what specifics you want. What portion of the whites will you be in, what time frame, for how long, what sort of fish do you want to target, etc......

And the above poster is right, the reservoirs can be great. Becker is a lake that lacks great scenery but makes up for it with catch and release on many 20"+ rainbow trout, many of them triploids.

There are others who know much more than about fishing there waters than me. There are two forums dedicated to fly fishing in AZ and they can be a very good resource.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:00 PM

swcr is on a distinguished road

Since I reside and my rod building busines is in Arizona,I build quite a few 6'6" to 7''6" 2 and 3wt rods for the people fishing the majority of the small streams and creeks up there
Old 11-07-2013, 08:20 AM

browntrout12 is on a distinguished road

i have allways wanted to get up there maybe in the spring i can fish this area would like to fish the east fork of black river anyone ever fish this
Old 11-07-2013, 05:07 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi twistedjeep welcome.

It doesn't matter where any of us hail from there are always something we can all pickup as we all know there are members from virtually everywhere who don't hesitate to help,so virtually all anyone who wants any info is to join & ask for advise.
I knew there was Trout in AZ as I have Friends there however I learnt a bit about The Gear Used

I know you will enjoy it here as well as I have for The Last few years.

Brian
Old 11-22-2013, 07:16 AM

flycaster99 is on a distinguished road

Hi, Can anyone advise what are some of the fly patterns (dries or nymphs) that will work towards the December period on Silver Creek? Thanks.