The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Western U.S. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/western-u-s/)
-   -   Utah, Idaho (Driggs) trip advice (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/western-u-s/327265-utah-idaho-driggs-trip-advice.html)

waycool 08-05-2013 09:17 PM

Utah, Idaho (Driggs) trip advice

Greetings, First post here....

I could use any advice ... I live in So NM and am planning a trip through Utah on my way to Driggs, ID to stay for 5 days. Plan right now is to fish the San Juan (NM) then to Bicknell, UT and fish the Fremont. Then to Driggs where I'm thinking Teton river, Southfork (if can be done without a boat) and possibly Henrys Fork mostly cause its on the bucket list.

I'm not an expert but I grew up fly fishing from the age of 10 (I'm 45 now) in northern NM. But took about 20 years off after moving south. So I'm back to tying flies and hoping to have some fun on vacation in ID.

I've been tying typical stuff in preparation ... caddis, baetis, hoppers, hares ears, bwo, pmd, wooly boogers, in all stages and sizes from 14 to 20.

Hopefully that will do. Well plus some stuff for the San Juan which can be unique to those waters.

Ill accept any advice including that I'm nuts not hiring a guide... cause I'm not. I guess I just dont roll like that.. ��

Mostly it would be nice to have help with where there is wadeable access to these places s I've obviously never been and not familiar with access.

Thanks for any advice,

-Steve

mcnerney 08-05-2013 09:35 PM

Re: Utah, Idaho (Driggs) trip advice

Welcome to the forum! After your stay at Bicknell, UT, I'd recommend going north to Dutch John, UT and hitting the Green River below Flaming Gorge. From the dam to the first takeout is all BLM land and there is a walking path the entire way so there is plenty of access for the wade fisherman. Also there is a number of campgrounds in the area, none on the water, at least until you get on the B Section (past the first takeout called Little Hole).
The South Fork is big fast water, not very good for wade fishermen without access to a boat. That being said there are some spots that can be fished from shore. You didn't mention your timing, when are you making this trip?

Larry

waycool 08-05-2013 10:05 PM

Wow thanks Larry...

Great advice perhaps I may just go to Flaming gorge vs Bicknell... I've just bear hunted near Bicknell and remember how inviting the river looked. ��

This will be end of August fwiw... thanks for being willing to share... obviously I don't want directions to someone's special waters �� just advice from those that have been would be great.

robtmitchell 08-22-2013 09:44 PM

Hi,

I am new to this forum. We did a week long house rental in Driggs the past 2 summers (2011-2012) in late June, early July. I used my outcast float tube to fish the Teton River. I got dropped off and picked up later down stream at one of the bridges. It is a challenge to float the tube and fish but it can be done and there were no hazzards. There are kids inner tubing as well.
If you go, take masquito spray, they were bad. Also I would suggest afternoon to evening. The day action was slow but there were some bigger fish hooked in the evening.
There is an article on the web about wade fishing on a few spots of the South Fork of the snake, I will see if I can find the link. When I was there it was too high and dangerous. I would like to get over there in the fall and fish it.
This year there is less run off so it may be lower flows.

rob

mcnerney 08-22-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robtmitchell (Post 584547)
There is an article on the web about wade fishing on a few spots of the South Fork of the snake, I will see if I can find the link. When I was there it was too high and dangerous. I would like to get over there in the fall and fish it.

Yes, in the fall/winter the flows are cut way back and wade fishing is much easier on the SF. Right now it is in the neighborhood of 10,000 CFS, not something to fool around with by wading, but if you look hard enough you can find a few spots, just be careful.

Kelly lives in that area of ID, hopefully he will see your post and offer up some other advice on fishing opportunities.

Larry

bquick 08-23-2013 06:16 AM

Steve,

I hired a guide to learn the Juan. The fish up in the quality waters eat really small bugs, mostly midges. If you are not going to buy some flies from a shop there, I would tie some red, cream and brown midge imitations in size 24-26. I would also tie some dun CDC emergers and dries in size 22-24. Fish as close as you can to the bottom.

Below the quality waters you can find some bigger fish using wooly buggers or leech patterns. That was fun for me, be careful with the strike. I was fishing 5x, it was that light or no strike.

For sure, stop in at any one of the shops and ask. They will tell you what is catching fish.

Good luck! You're going to have fun!

Bryan

waycool 08-23-2013 08:57 AM

Thanks for all the advice ! It's very much appreciated !

I should be ok with the San Juan as I grew up on the river.. it's just been 20 years since I've been there.. :( long hiatus away from the vise :) It looks from everything I've read its still pretty similar .. with smaller being better 22-26 midges and emergers... And I still remember my rabbit hare (pun intended) leech pattern hopefully that thing still works like it did back in the day :)

The trip itinerary has changed.. I'm headed to Flaming Gorge instead of Bicknell :) So .. San Juan, Green River.. then Idaho for 5 days..then the reverse heading back south .. I'm excited...!!! Hope I didn't forget any gear in the vest been a long time since I did this gig... I'll definitely make a stop at some shops to verify the last minute items.

@Bryan thanks for the help !

@Rob I found that article on wading the SF it looks promising as flows are dropping significantly hopefully I can find a couple side channels to fish so I can at least say I've been there :)

@Larry What can I say thanks a TON !!! Especially the recommendation to head to Flaming Gorge !!! I'm there !

Tomorrow cant come soon enough !

--Steve

mcnerney 08-23-2013 01:04 PM

Steve: Best of luck, have a safe trip and be sure to post some photos of your journey!

Larry