The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Western U.S. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/western-u-s/)
-   -   New guy in LV (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/western-u-s/328580-new-guy-lv.html)

joshuat 08-18-2013 10:57 PM

New guy in LV

This Friday and Saturday, August 23 and 24 there is a class being taught by NDOW and I'm attending.

I have a given to me free set up and I'm hoping it'll serve me well and reel in some nice catches in the local city ponds and might even hit Lake Mead. My set up is a G-Loomis Metolius 8'6" rod and a White River reel #5 and if you ask me what that all means I'll give you a simple answer....I have no clue hehe.

I've only used flies a few times and that was years ago so I hope to pick up the habit soon.

The news just said they reopened Floyd Lamb State Park so fishing is on again there. Not sure if I'd take them home and eat them after shutting it down since ducks were dying but it sure would be fun catching and releasing.

Anyone up for it?

jpbfly 08-19-2013 12:39 AM

Re: New guy in LV

:welcomeanto the forum.

mcnerney 08-19-2013 07:04 AM

Welcome to the forum! Lots of great information on this site if you spend some time browsing and using the search function, but if you can't find what you're looking for don't hesitate to ask questions.
Here are a few other ideas for a beginner to learn more about FF:
Check out the Orvis Learning Center: How To Fly Fish For Trout, Bass & More | Learn Fly Fishing With Orvis
Checkout the Orvis Podcast by Tom Rosenbaeur: The Orvis Fly Fishing Podcast with Tom Rosenbauer
Also there are a hundreds of fly fishing videos on YouTube.
Also check to see if there is a Trout Unlimited Chapter or Federation of Fly Fishers Chapter in you area. If you have a local fly shop, they will know, also there might be a local fly fishing club. If you can join a group and find someone to mentor you through the basics your learning curve will sky rocket.

Larry

joshuat 08-19-2013 08:32 PM

Thanks for those links Larry

joshuat 08-23-2013 10:33 PM

NDOW taught a free class tonight and tomorrow free lessons from the casting masters from Bass Pro. Then after that I get to play on the water!!!!

mcnerney 08-23-2013 10:42 PM

Josh: Sounds like you are off to a great start, best of luck!

Larry

jmac321 08-29-2013 11:28 AM

Welcome to the sight and the addiction. Enjoy!!!!:) Your starting off on the right foot. I've been ff for over 40 years and I never pass up a chance to learn from others. I was lucky starting out, to have great mentors and lots of waters with will trout. Best of luck to you on your journey.