The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2008, 11:07 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about
Default Stream Fishing new LV?

Are there any smaller streams near Las Vegas where you can fly fish? My brother-in-law recently moved there and he says that he hasn't found anywhere to go. (He does not like the big reservoir-type places - trying to find smaller rivers or creeks.) Thanks.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Stream Fishing new LV?

Hi BlueDun,

I don't think Vegas is a great place for river fishing. The closest river is the Virgin River up at Mesquite. It is a fairly shallow river and I don't know if there are any fish or not. You will need to go up to the Reno area for some Trout fishing.

You can go over to Page, Arizona and fish at Lee's Ferry for Trout. Lee's Ferry is a great spot to go but will be about 280 miles. There is a camp ground in the Park. You will need a Park pass for your vehicle. Rent a jet boat for $100 a day and have at it. Then there is lots of fishing in Utah. You are close enough to reach Wyoming and Colorado on a week long trip.

Frank
Old 02-17-2008, 08:58 AM

Trucha is on a distinguished road

Just to repeat what was said prior; Las Vegas doesn't have much in the way of small streams.

You may consider the Owens River just across the border on the eastern side of the Sierra Nevadas. Whatever you decide, you will have to drive some.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:16 PM

Thanks for your replies - guess he was right - nothing within 2 - 3 hours.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDun View Post
Are there any smaller streams near Las Vegas where you can fly fish? My brother-in-law recently moved there and he says that he hasn't found anywhere to go. (He does not like the big reservoir-type places - trying to find smaller rivers or creeks.) Thanks.
I'd be fer tellin the Bro in-law to get chasin Stripers and Smallies at Lake Mead, It's just about all he's got.

A friend of mine grew up in Henderson and chased them when he was a kid, said it was a lot of fun....

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-04-2008, 09:00 PM

Just saw the last reply -

My brother-in-law considers Lake Mead to be "the cess-pool of the west" - he won't go near it!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like he doesn't want to fish very badly then, too bad for him.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 07-16-2008, 04:35 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Plane tickets to Reno from Vegas are relatively inexpensive. Rent a car, hit a campground and fish like crazy up here.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Another option for stripers and smallies would be Lake Powell. Then just north of Vernal, UT you have some fantastic fishing on the Green River (below Flaming Gorge).......but they both are a good drive from LV.

Larry