The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 08:25 PM

puravida is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing around Ketchum Idaho

I looked around here, but didn't see too much written about the fishing around Ketchum and Sun Valley, Idaho. Has anybody fished the area and if so, what are your thoughts on it?

I am planning a week trip somewhere in the Western US in July and am looking for a place that I haven't been before. Last year I went to Basalt, Colorado which was amazing and am looking for another great spot with lots of rivers to fish and is within a day's drive from California.

Also on my list of potential places is Missoula and Twin Bridges, but both of those places are a little farther away from me, which is why I am leaning toward Ketchum which is a day's drive and not a day and a half.

If anybody has been to Ketchum or fished the rivers around there (The Big Wood, Silver Creek, Salmon River, and the Big Lost) I'd love to here your thoughts and know if it's a place worth visiting. Thanks
Old 02-19-2014, 10:21 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fishing around Ketchum Idaho

I live in Boise, about 2 1/2 hours from Sun Valley. There is great fishing in and around sun valley. (The Big Wood, Silver Creek, Salmon River, and the Big Lost) all great water. The Big wood has been a favorite of mine for years. Gin clear water, with beautiful native fish. Silver Creek needs no explanation. Can be great fishing or it can humble you.... either way, its a great experience. The big lost is a great Dry Fly fishery. If willing to drive a bit, you have the S. Fork of the Boise and the Salmon River. Other than Silver Creek, none of these waters have the same allure of some other famous western rivers, but are great waters none the less. Also, he have some great back country fishing if willing to hike a bit. If you need more specifics, feel free to PM me. I am busy with fly fishing shows this time of year, but I will eventually get back to you.

Best of luck.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 02-20-2014, 07:48 PM

Awesome! Thanks Mike.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:56 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Puravida: I just noticed you are located in Costa Rica, one of my dream fly fishing locations. I sure hope you post some of your local fly fishing adventures, I sure a lot of our members would enjoy reading about your fishing down there, especially this time of year when most of us are just dreaming about getting outside and wetting a line.

Larry
smoothie likes this.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:00 PM

idahoclouser will become famous soon enough

If you are willing to do some hiking. Right outside of Sun Valley in the pioneer mountains is some of the best alpine lakes in the state. From rainbow, cutts, goldens and grayling. Been fishing the area for years.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:47 PM

Larry,

I wish I had some great adventures here to share, but believe it or not, I actually have yet to fly fish here. I live in San Jose, which isn't close to the ocean, and I don't really know where to go. I know there is some great fishing in the rivers up in the northern part of the country and obviously in the ocean, but around my house I am at a loss. There is only one river that I have fished (with spinning reel as my fly rod is back in California and I haven't found any kind of fishing store nearby) and that river is 2 hours away, which isn't that big of a deal but the river is small with only 1 access point and after fishing it a few times it kind of loses its appeal. Hopefully in time I will learn where to go and be able share that information here.

Kevin
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:00 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Kevin: I understand! Post up some photos of the surrounding area you live in, we would all like to see that part of the world. Just understand the forum doesn't allow directly uploading photos from your computer to a post here on the forum. There are several methods, one of the easiest is to create an account on a photo hosting site like Photobucket, upload your photos there then open the library and hover your pointer over a photo and a gear cog appears in the upper right corner, put your pointer over that icon and drop down menu will appear, select get links, in the next window, select the last item "IMG Codes", when you click on that it will save the code to your clipboard, then in a post on the forum, click on the area you want to insert a post, then on the top of the area you type in there is a little yellow rectangular icon that looks like a mtn scene, click on that and then in the window do a CNTL-V to paste the code from your clipboard. Then select Preview Post at the bottom to see if the photo linked like it should, if it did, then press Submit Reply. If you have a smart phone, then download the Tapatalk App. Some of the members here are using that to upload photos directly from their phones, they say it is really easy, I haven't tried that method yet, but you might want to try that method.
We are tired of looking at snow so anything tropical would be a real treat this time of year!

Larry

Old 03-02-2014, 07:06 PM

Larry, I just posted a couple shots of Rio Savegre, Costa Rica under a previous post on the forum. You can check it out here => Costa Rica Fishing I'll try to take some more pictures the next time I get out fishing here.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:11 PM

cpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to behold

For more information on the fishing in the Ketchum area, read the back fishing reports from some of the fly shops there. Silver Creek Outfitters and Lost River Outfitters

http://silver-creek.com/fishing

Sun Valley Fly Fishing Forecast (archives)

Fly Fishing

Be sure and visit the shops when you are there and buy a few local flies. They have good up to date info on the fishing and river access.

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

I should have mentioned that some of that area burned last year, but if one river is silty, there are others that will be okay.

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

Here is a little information on areas that the burn will affect such as parts of the Boise and the Wood. Fishing Forecast September 4th - 11th, 2013

If you look at the picture on that, report you can see the black water coming out of Warm Springs Cr. The upper Big Wood above that looks to be much less effected. I don't know how much of that will still be going on next July, but I would expect it after every rain. For the most part the fishing will probably be better in areas above or away from the burn.
puravida likes this.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:55 PM

Flywgn will become famous soon enoughFlywgn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by puravida View Post
...Also on my list of potential places is Missoula and Twin Bridges, but both of those places are a little farther away from me, which is why I am leaning toward Ketchum which is a day's drive and not a day and a half.

If anybody has been to Ketchum or fished the rivers around there (The Big Wood, Silver Creek, Salmon River, and the Big Lost) I'd love to here your thoughts and know if it's a place worth visiting. Thanks
We live just south of the Bellevue-Ketchum area and I fish the Big Wood and Silver Ck often, the Big Lost some, and the Salmon frequently. I also like the Middle Fork of the Salmon above Dagger Falls. In addition it's not a long drive for me and I can be wading the Henry's Fork or the Madison in Yellowstone.

I've also learned to enjoy relatively un-visited waters like the Malad Gorge and Silver Ck outside the Preserve. July can be warm so where I fish Silver Ck out in the desert would not be on my list at that time, but in cooler weather it's a kick to release a 14- to 15-inch fish taken out there. Smaller ones are more common but still fun.

I concur with the assessments posted about those streams mentioned. Silver Ck can get pretty busy in July. I do recommend using a guide from either of the outfitters mentioned. The Big Wood can be a bit daunting in getting to sections. Our state laws allow wading a stream within the "mean high-water" lines, but sometimes a few landowners (those with houses right on the river) can be a bit intimidating. Knowing the public access spots will allow you to get on the water much quicker.

You mention (quoted and highlighted above) that you'll be a "day's drive" from the Ketchum area, which suggests that you'll be coming from somewhere else. It might be helpful for anyone offering suggestions to know from whence you'll be driving, given that there are literally miles and miles of blue-ribbon trout waters "...somewhere in the Western U.S." We may have other destinations you may enjoy.

If you don't wish to publish that information, I can understand, but it might help.

Allen R.

P.S. I haven't posted on this forum recently. I've been busy trying to complete two manuscripts and make deadlines for both. Crazy.