The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree17Likes
  • 6 Post By stenacron
  • 2 Post By cpiercem
  • 2 Post By kglissmeyer1
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By mojo
  • 4 Post By stenacron
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 03:41 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Little Dell Res., UT - 04/09/2014

As I mentioned in the "What Have You Been Tying..." thread, my intent today was to soak a couple chironomid patterns in search of trout. This was the first chance I had to try out my new tactics acquired from a winter of watching Chan & Rowley's Conquering Chironomids DVD, and all went pretty much according to plan.

Short trip (0930-1200 hrs) as the wind made things pretty rough once it kicked up. I landed a nice handful of "gems" that Little Dell is known for - pure strain Bonneville Cutthroat Trout. Suspending #14 chironomid patterns about 6-8 ft below an indicator provided pretty steady action until the white caps came. Here are a few pic's from this morning...

After living in Utah for almost four (4) years now, I still haven't gotten over the "I wonder what's around the next corner" factor... baby bull (moose) taking in a little brunch.
Click the image to open in full size.

First Bonneville Cutt of the day... a ~15/16 inch snake.

Hooked every one right in the "beak" this morning... this is the fly that did the most damage, #16 olive pheasant tail w/ red wire rib.

Prettiest fish of the morning (if not the smallest)

The other thing Bonneville Cutt's are known for... teeth!

The upper end of Little Dell in the morning sun... perfect chironomid water

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-09-2014, 05:42 PM

cpiercem is just really nicecpiercem is just really nicecpiercem is just really nicecpiercem is just really nice
Default Re: Little Dell Res., UT - 04/09/2014

Love the Bonnies. Looks like they are all spawned out already. And congrats on a new technique.
mcnerney and stenacron like this.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:54 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice post and even nicer Chironomid flies. Sure wish I had some open stillwaters closer to where I am right now.

Kelly
mcnerney and stenacron like this.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet looking Bonnevilles, congrats!

Larry
stenacron likes this.

Larry
Old 04-09-2014, 09:28 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Joni and I fish LD quite a bit after it opens up in May (I don't want to drag 2 boats down and back up a hill for a half mile). 99% of the time it is a chirono lake. Get there early in the morning with the kickboats and fish towards the inlet. Nonstop fishing until noon usually. 20 minutes from our house.
From ypur picture it looks like it's down 15' or so. Runnoff should fill it right up.
stenacron likes this.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:04 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post

...I don't want to drag 2 boats down and back up a hill for a half mile....

...Nonstop fishing until noon usually....
I definitely would not want to haul a pontoon or tube back up that hill!

I haven't fished it that often, but I agree about the "noonish" drop-off in action (certainly went that way the last two days for me)...

I went back to the well (uh, Dell) this morning and it was pretty much a repeat of yesterday. Once the wind kicks up (~10:30) the action seems to ramp up a bit with a nice little ripple on the surface... but as the wind gets stronger and the chop intensifies the bite goes away. Not sure if the wave-induced "bounce" becomes unnatural to the fish at that point, or if the indicator drifts so fast that it pulls the flies out of the strike zone (maybe a combination of the two). I like it though... I think I'll be spending fewer hours on the rivers this year. Need to sharpen my tools before attempting Strawberry.

Couple more shots from this morning...

That classic "cut throat slash" is pretty obscure on these Bonneville strains... really only visible when then open wide.

Off he (she?) goes to gobble up more chironomids.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Joe,

I'm happy to see you're getting out a bit. I was able to do a little steelhead scouting yesterday and am going for a stream hike tomorrow. The fish that wait until spring to come from the lagoons and lakes are moving now.

It looks like your season is off to a good start,

Ard
stenacron likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;