The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 05:41 PM

wjl is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Nymphing fast water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie View Post
I'm at my office today working, and I spent about one full houring looking at his site: Gary Borger

We all come from different places in the world. It's amazing (and wonderful) that the pursuit of happiness through fly fishing can bring so many people together.

Great photo of you and your friends on the banks of the Madison! It's arguably one of the best trout streams in the world.

Cheers,

Matt H.
I have that video. SA made those a long time ago, in 1982. Smith & Edwards has that series.
Like you said small world.
Idaho/ Montana area is a great place to fish, every other week
Old 04-23-2014, 09:49 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nymphing fast water?

There's a couple of neat stories that go with that video.

It was shot on 35 mm film before video and shooting 35 mm movie film is every expensive. Unlike the HD video cameras of today that allow the director to shoot lots of video and cherry pick the best results, Gary was under pressure to catch fish on command so they would not go over the film budget.

On this particular day, the crew and director were set up on the old wooden $3 Bridge. Gary was down stream and had picked a spot that he thought held a good fish. The director yelled, "Action!" and Gary made his nymphing cast upstream and hooked a very large fish that took him well into the fly line. He fought the fish for many minutes and quite a few onlookers had gathered on the banks and bridge to watch the filming.

As he bought the fish in, Gary was expecting a large brown trout but it turned out to be a 20+ inch whitefish. A collective AWWWW came up from the crowd as Gary brought in and released the fish. The crowd melted away. Gary went from hero to zero in 10 minutes.

On another day, the crew was filming at Buffalo Ford in Yellowstone Park. Old timers will recall that this was probably the most popular place to fish the Yellowstone River in the Park and it held lots of fish which meant that the chances were good that Gary could catch fish on demand. After filming was over, an old timer was watching and asked Gary if he was an important fishing personality. He said. "Yes, I'm Lefty Kreh!"

But that is not all there is to this story. As Paul Harvey would say, "Here's the rest of the story." The old timer told Gary that he should have been there the other day when this kid was out fishing the adults at Buffalo Ford. Gary didn't know it at the time, but it turned out that "this kid" was the son of Gary's best friend, Bob Pils, who illustrated several of Gary's early books including Nymphing. Gary only found out after he and Bob later met; and after Gary told him the story, Bob recognized the old timer and that his son had an outstanding day at Buffalo Ford. I think he was 12 or 13 yo at the time.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-23-2014, 11:59 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Re: Nymphing fast water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
There's a couple of neat stories that go with that video.

It was shot on 35 mm film before video and shooting 35 mm movie film is every expensive. Unlike the HD video cameras of today that allow the director to shoot lots of video and cherry pick the best results, Gary was under pressure to catch fish on command so they would not go over the film budget.

On this particular day, the crew and director were set up on the old wooden $3 Bridge. Gary was down stream and had picked a spot that he thought held a good fish. The director yelled, "Action!" and Gary made his nymphing cast upstream and hooked a very large fish that took him well into the fly line. He fought the fish for many minutes and quite a few onlookers had gathered on the banks and bridge to watch the filming.

As he bought the fish in, Gary was expecting a large brown trout but it turned out to be a 20+ inch whitefish. A collective AWWWW came up from the crowd as Gary brought in and released the fish. The crowd melted away. Gary went from hero to zero in 10 minutes.

On another day, the crew was filming at Buffalo Ford in Yellowstone Park. Old timers will recall that this was probably the most popular place to fish the Yellowstone River in the Park and it held lots of fish which meant that the chances were good that Gary could catch fish on demand. After filming was over, an old timer was watching and asked Gary if he was an important fishing personality. He said. "Yes, I'm Lefty Kreh!"

But that is not all there is to this story. As Paul Harvey would say, "Here's the rest of the story." The old timer told Gary that he should have been there the other day when this kid was out fishing the adults at Buffalo Ford. Gary didn't know it at the time, but it turned out that "this kid" was the son of Gary's best friend, Bob Pils, who illustrated several of Gary's early books including Nymphing. Gary only found out after he and Bob later met; and after Gary told him the story, Bob recognized the old timer and that his son had an outstanding day at Buffalo Ford. I think he was 12 or 13 yo at the time.
Ah, the stories behind the stories... one of my favorite aspects of the fly fishing culture. I love stuff like this.

Thank you Silver!

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring