The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 11:35 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about
Default Gonna be in Phoenix...

I'm going to have a few days free while visiting Phoenix, AZ, in a couple of weeks. Have never fished in Arizona, but a Google search came up with some possibilities within an hour or two. I'm especially intrigued by the smallmouth on the Verde River, as well as maybe Oak Creek since we are going to be in Sedona for a day or two. Anybody on here who can give me info? I was kinda hoping to find someplace to rent a canoe or kayak to fish the Verde, but haven't found anything on Google.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:41 PM

sjdrifli1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gonna be in Phoenix...

I don't really know about renting kayaks, but I am sure there is a place in Sedona that rents them. Oak is a fun little creek. Fish above slide rock to get away from the people wading in the creek. Baetis dries and nymphs will be a good choice, maybe dropped off a san juan worm as an attractor for you nymph rig. Fish are super spooky so do what you have to do to go unseen. The Verde has some nice smallies in the lower section from what I have heard but really don't have any details. Wet Beaver Creek (insert joke here) has tons of smallies but most are pretty small. Still a fun little creek. Hope this helps a little.