The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By al_a
  • 1 Post By milt spawn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 12:00 AM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about
Default Verde River AZ "smallmouth"

As I was going to be in Phoenix last week and had plenty of free time, I asked here about fishing possibilities. The one answer I got mentioned Wet Beaver Creek, and that it was full of smallmouth. In fact, in researching the area on the internet, EVERY source said that the Verde River and tributaries held smallmouth.

Well, I waded and fished the Verde, Wet Beaver, and Oak Creek, and caught "smallmouth" in all of them. But I put that in quotation marks because...THESE FISH AREN'T SMALLMOUTH! Superficially, they look like smallmouth, with bronze colored backs and upper sides with darker bars and blotches, but their lower sides have horizontal rows of small dark spots like spotted bass, their cheeks have a blueish cast, and most diagnostic, their tails are somewhat orange, with white upper and lower margins.

I recognized them instantly, being a student of bass and bass coloration due to my profession. These bass are redeye bass, Micropterus coosae. The redeye is an obscure black bass species that is native only to a couple of river systems in Alabama and Georgia. But there is simply no doubt that the appearance of these fish matches redeye identifying characteristics exactly. How redeye bass got to the Verde River has to be a mystery, and why the AZ fish and game people, along with everybody else, says they are smallmouth is a mystery, too. I've seen videos of the smallmouth of Black River in eastern AZ, and those are true smallmouth, but NOT the Verde River fish; they are most definitely not smallmouth, at least not all the ones I caught.

By the way, none of the fish I caught were very big, maybe 12 inches at best, but they're pretty little fish. I did, however, catch some very nice largemouth, including a couple of 19 inchers on the Verde and a 17 incher on Oak Creek.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:15 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Verde River AZ "smallmouth"

Pics? milt
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:52 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

I have yet to figure out an easy way to post pictures on this site.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:12 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Al,

If you have a photo bucket account this is the easiest way to post. Read the page then you'll be pasting photos like an old hand

Posting Pictures with Photo Bucket

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-14-2014, 12:17 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi AA, easiest way I've found is to upload pix straight to your personal album in UserCP. I would certainly like to see 'em! milt
Old 05-14-2014, 01:23 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

There are Smallmouth in there, but there are also Redeye.