The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By hangin chad
  • 1 Post By troutdoorsman
  • 1 Post By hangin chad
  • 1 Post By steve_o

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 09:55 PM

hangin chad has a spectacular aura abouthangin chad has a spectacular aura about
Default Walker River, NV, and Mason Valley Area

Howdy, folks.

Anybody been fishing below Topaz on the West Walker lately? How about the ponds at MVWMA? If so, I'd like you to keep me posted on future outings and your results as Summer winds down. I have a week off coming up mid-September and plan to head that way at least one day then.

A co-worker here in Sparks is from Yerington, and he showed me the pic his sister (still in Yerington) sent him recently of a nice trout she caught just upstream of Wilson Canyon. She used an ice chest lid to provide scale so I don't have a precise measurement but I'm pretty sure it was over 18" long, possibly as much as 22".

No, I still haven't found out the most important *what she caught it on* part
cpiercem likes this.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:36 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Walker River, NV, and Mason Valley Area

I rarely head that way to fish but have heard that Topaz is pretty low. Mason Valley can be fun for largemouth and has some good trout in it. The rest of summer for me will be spent at Hobart and north of Truckee in the high mountains around Jackson Meadows So I can't help with any updates. I'd give The Anglers Edge in Minden a call and see what they know. Liz and Don are great to deal with and know what's going on in those areas.
cpiercem likes this.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:03 PM

hangin chad has a spectacular aura abouthangin chad has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the input, man.

I hadn't heard Topaz was low but have heard the West Walker CA side is pretty low in the canyon.

My thinking was along the lines of, maybe below a lake the Walker isn't as bad off temp-wise as the Truckee. I saw the fishing report in RGJ today and maybe that ain't so. Sounds like the E. Walker coming out of Bishop Reservoir is warmer than the waters further downstream. Seems counter-intuitive, but those are the conditions reported.

Hey, in case you tie flies as well as fish, don't know if you heard Craft Market in Carson City is going out of business? Yes, sadly, the area is losing another locally owned business That said, good source of some tying materials for less money for the amount than Sportsman's, Scheels, or, in the case of peacock herl, Hobby Lobby.

Might be worth checking out if you head that way before their final days, anyway.
cpiercem likes this.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:54 AM

steve_o is on a distinguished road

Hello Northern Nevadans.... FYI, new to the forum but thought I would put up some notes on the West Walker. I fished it 10/4/2014 at Sonoran Bridge and later in the day up at Pickel Meadows. I pulled out 5-6 trout in each location. The water is really low thus you need to pick out pockets around each bend in the river. I had pretty good luck casting nymphs into small riffles and letting them flow downstream into the pockets.
cpiercem likes this.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:17 PM

darkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to beholddarkshadow is a splendid one to behold

I'm planning a vacation from my previous vacation and was wondering if I should even make the drive up to the Topaz area, considering all the water conditions for the immediate bodies of water.

I think at this point, base camp will be Bishop, and the focus will be in the Owens area, whether the UO, or the LO.