The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2014, 04:57 PM

flyfishnbum will become famous soon enough
Default Flyfishng around Flagstaff

I was looking into possibilities of relocating to Flagstaff,AZ for work in the near future. A lot of that depends on the fly-fishing and the waterfowl hunting. I know that the big game hunting there is awesome. But I was just curious on what kind of opportunities are there for both.

Thanks Mike
Old 11-17-2014, 05:58 PM

rangerrich99 is a splendid one to beholdrangerrich99 is a splendid one to beholdrangerrich99 is a splendid one to beholdrangerrich99 is a splendid one to beholdrangerrich99 is a splendid one to beholdrangerrich99 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Flyfishng around Flagstaff

There are many small lakes stocked with 'bows, browns, and pike within 10 mins to an hr of Flagstaff. Most of these are easy access (4x4 not required). There are also several small creeks that are regularly stocked with 'bows, and some have mixed populations of browns, brooks, and even some smallmouth bass. Some of these require a 4x4/hike-in to access.

Of course, the jewel of the area is Lee's Ferry, about two hours north of Flagstaff. The Juan is about 4.5 hours away.

Hope that helps.

Peace.
cpiercem, flyfishnbum and smoothie like this.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 11-17-2014, 06:29 PM

Thanks that does help a lot...I have only been to flagstaff a couple of times and I really didn't to much looking around. I guess should have included that I live in Farmington so I fish the Juan a few times a week. Which is one of the only reasons other, than family that's kept me around here..

Mike
Old 11-18-2014, 09:54 AM

swampdonkey is just really niceswampdonkey is just really niceswampdonkey is just really niceswampdonkey is just really niceswampdonkey is just really nice

It's about a 3hr drive from Flagstaff but the White Mountains and the Greer area have some decent fishing options. Nothing like the Juan but if your in the mood for small streams or reservoirs that area has quite a few options.
cpiercem likes this.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:31 PM

smoothie is a jewel in the roughsmoothie is a jewel in the roughsmoothie is a jewel in the roughsmoothie is a jewel in the rough

I've never fished in Flagstaff, but I have driven down to fish Lees Ferry a few times. It's amazing! Maybe you should book a trip to Lees Ferry before you make your final decision

Click the image to open in full size.

fredaevans and cpiercem like this.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:52 AM

Dang it looks awesome...I had never really thought about going to try and fish Lees Ferry. Looks like I should look into heading out that way.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:52 AM

smoothie is a jewel in the roughsmoothie is a jewel in the roughsmoothie is a jewel in the roughsmoothie is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnbum View Post
Dang it looks awesome...I had never really thought about going to try and fish Lees Ferry. Looks like I should look into heading out that way.

There are three ways to fish at Lees Ferry. 1. You can fish the "walk in" section 2. You can rent a jet boat for $200 / day and go upstream. From the walk in section of the river upstream to the dam is about 14 miles of river that can only be accessed via jet boat due to the sheer cliffs of the grand canyon. If you're going to spend the money to go fish the Ferry, then just plan on renting a jet boat to get the full experience. 3. You can hire a guide to take you upstream on a jet boat to the multiple spots in the river where the fish are all stacked up.

Cliff Dweller's Logde is the best place stay. It's minutes from the river. Good restaurant. Good fishing guides, and they would rent you a jet boat to take if you want to go without a guide.

Cliff Dwellers Lodge :: Lees Ferry
River Report :: Lees Ferry
Old 11-20-2014, 12:32 PM

scoutm is a jewel in the roughscoutm is a jewel in the roughscoutm is a jewel in the roughscoutm is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie View Post
I've never fished in Flagstaff, but I have driven down to fish Lees Ferry a few times. It's amazing! Maybe you should book a trip to Lees Ferry before you make your final decision

I've been up to Lee's Ferry many times fished it in the walk in area, taken a buddies boat up the canyon and I've taken guided trips so I've hit a number of places/times and have never seen a pontoon boat up there. Where were you?

Best time to be up there is when the Cicada bite is on...some amazing action...unfortunately it's extremely hot then.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutm View Post
I've been up to Lee's Ferry many times fished it in the walk in area, taken a buddies boat up the canyon and I've taken guided trips so I've hit a number of places/times and have never seen a pontoon boat up there. Where were you?

Best time to be up there is when the Cicada bite is on...some amazing action...unfortunately it's extremely hot then.
The photo of me on my pontoon was my very first trip to Lees Ferry. We hired a boat to take us and our gear to one of the camp sites. We were upstream about 13 miles. We slept over at the campsite, and then the next morning we floated all the way to the pullout. It was a lot of fun except that around 4:00 PM the wind started to blow pretty hard. It was blowing up the canyon, so it made it extremely hard to make it out of the canyon. The wind was so strong that it pushed our pontoon boats up stream against the river's current. We had to actually row as fast as we could to make any progress. We barely made it out before dark. It really was a fun experience, but from now on I'm just going to rent a jet boat or get a guide.

fredaevans likes this.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:42 PM

scoutm is a jewel in the roughscoutm is a jewel in the roughscoutm is a jewel in the roughscoutm is a jewel in the rough

That's awesome.

I've never seen anyone do that. Sure wouldn't want to miss the takeout or you'd be in for one heck of a ride on the Paria Riffle. (don't have any idea what made them call it a riffle.
smoothie likes this.