Provo River, UT - 02/06/2015

stenacron

Reaction score
Fished the middle stretch of the Provo River today near Charleston, UT from 1130-1530 hrs. Weather looked good on paper yesterday, the WIND however was a real bear today... 15-20 mph sustained with some nasty gusts. Can't haggle over the temp's though as they topped out at 62* F (this is winter, right?).

I scrounged together a good catch of browns and even a few rainbows, about half in the 15-16 inch range, rest smaller. Most of the action was compacted into a half hour window starting around 2:30p.

We were hoping to be casting dry's to rising fish today, but the wind-rippled surface made it very difficult to spot sippers, so we stuck to the subsurface flies. Not sure it would have been fun trying to cast dry's in those gusts anyway.

A few pic's as usual...

Midges were on the water when we arrived around 11:30... and the Jujubee's that treated me so well in January continued to put fish in the net today.

My buddy Bill fighting the wind in a nice ledge pool. Snow up high as seen in the backdrop, but nary a trace left in the valley's.

I basically fished with the same two (2) flies wire-to-wire; #16 olive pheasant tail, dropping to a #20 light olive Jujubee Midge. Fish were split across the two pretty evenly.

The rainbows were a bit of a surprise today as browns are pretty much the rule on most of the middle Provo. The "Finding Nemo" flipper on this fish indicates that he's of the lake-run variety. Probably did some hard time in the rough confines of a hatchery raceway at some point.

Changing light conditions are another annoyance on blustery days. One minute you can peer into the abyss, and the next just a steel-gray reflection of the passing clouds.

All fish of course handled with care and released to fight another day... "off you go"

Tight lines! :)

wjl

Reaction score
Nice pictures and info.
May just have to get my butt down to the Provo on Monday or Tuesday.
Warm that is an understatement.