Salt Lake City in mid-October

garybrower

Reaction score
Greetings!

I'm going to be in SLC for a conference in mid-October. I will have one day (mid-week) that I could spend fishing.

Unless an appropriate spot is accessible by public transit, I'd probably have to rent a car for a day. But I can't really travel far. And paying for a guide is bit beyond my pocket-book right now.

Any suggestions? Rivers, creeks, lakes -- I'm open to anything!

Thanks!

Gary
Denver, CO

Curtis

Reaction score
You are welcome to shoot me a P.M. when you are here. I'm always down for a fishing trip and can drive to the river as well.

garybrower

Reaction score
Thanks, Curtis. I'll do that, as I get closer, assuming the forum will allow a PM (since I may not have posted enough . . . being a lurker). My "fishing day" is Thursday, Oct 15.

Supplicate

Reaction score
Give the guys at Trout Bum 2 in Park City a call, they've always been able to help me out on my work trips in and around the Wasatch Front.

rockriv

Reaction score
Look up provo river hatch chart. As well as bugs. The browns will be spawning and angry! Toss some streamers at the banks come evening time or early morning. Mid provo river access is about 45 mins from salt lake.

Curtis

Reaction score
Any recommendations for flies this time of year?
Streamers are starting to pick up. Fishing a lot of heavily weighted nymphs as well.

Here and there, we are getting some decent bwo and pmd hatches. The caddis can be a possibility but it is waning.

Still been taking some good fish on ants and beetles, but not as frequently. The fish are a bit educated at this point so long fine leaders is the ticket.

Smaller streams are fishing well and the Provo has recently come down in velocity. Haven't been there since they brought the cfs down, but with it being higher for a while, I am betting the fish are in pretty good shape having not had to deal with low warm late summer waters.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Thanks Curtis. Would the same advice apply to the upper Provo above the Jordanelle Reservoir, around Francis and Woodland?

fictitious

Reaction score
Please don't call Trout Bum. And yes the reasons are political. Instead stop by Fish Tech in Salt Lake. Good mom and pop shop.

I would steer you towards the middle Provo below Jordanelle Reservoir. Many access points there. You can also walk along the entire river on that stretch.

Happy fishing.

garybrower

Reaction score
Thanks, fictitious. I checked in with Western in SLC; they suggested the middle Provo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stenacron

Reaction score
Greetings!

I'm going to be in SLC for a conference in mid-October. I will have one day (mid-week) that I could spend fishing.

Unless an appropriate spot is accessible by public transit, I'd probably have to rent a car for a day. But I can't really travel far. And paying for a guide is bit beyond my pocket-book right now.

Any suggestions? Rivers, creeks, lakes -- I'm open to anything!

Thanks!

Gary
Denver, CO
One day shot for an outta-towner? Middle Provo River near Midway. It's about a 40-minute drive from SLC. Water levels are perfect for wading right now and the pre-spawn browns are brightly colored and snapping!

You will need a vehicle however to get there. I suggest the following:
* I-80 east to exit #146 (route 189/40 south)
* Drive a couple miles up and over the hill... you'll see Jordanelle Reservoir appear on your left... keep driving
* Once past the dam at Jordanelle (still on the left) you'll be heading down a long hill and will see the Provo River appear as the highway crosses it... keep driving
* You will now come to a traffic light, this is River Road... make a right
* Parking lot is on the left (just before the bridge), but park on left just after the bridge alongside the road.
* Walk downstream here... all good water as far as you can walk and fish back.

This time of year is all about Baetis tricaudatus... blue-winged olive nymphs will be active mid-morning. Duns come off between 11:00a-2:00p. You may find risers, but reliable action will be nymphing a 2-fly rig w/ #18 2-bit hooker and #18 RS2.

Midges and streamers will work earlier. Soft hackles later in the afternoon.

Tight lines! ;)

Link to USGS gauge for Middle Provo: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/nwis/u...065,00060,72020,00010,00095,00400,00300,63680

Last edited:

Supplicate

Reaction score
One day shot for an outta-towner? Middle Provo River near Midway. It's about a 40-minute drive from SLC. Water levels are perfect for wading right now and the pre-spawn browns are brightly colored and snapping!
Good advice! Looks like I'm going to be moving down to your neck of the woods for work next month, just found an apartment in Sandy even though we were thinking about further south or up in Heber just for the easier access to the Provo, Strawberry, and the Uintas.