The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2017, 07:22 PM

karstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of lightkarstopo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: AZ/NM Native Trout Trip

That second photo is my favorite. Something other worldly about it. But the photos are all nice. I love watery places in an otherwise dry landscape. Those are neat fish. I read something about how they are basically leftovers, survivors from some wetter, cooler age. I always wonder if there is some oasis or spring hidden out there in the maze of all those canyons and forgotten over the decades or maybe tucked away on a private tract.

Anyway, thanks for sharing.
jeepster II and mka like this.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:33 PM

myt1 is a splendid one to beholdmyt1 is a splendid one to beholdmyt1 is a splendid one to beholdmyt1 is a splendid one to beholdmyt1 is a splendid one to beholdmyt1 is a splendid one to beholdmyt1 is a splendid one to behold

Did you climb up the rope in the background of the seventh picture?

The cork handle on my Hardy Zenith 3 wt literally has deep teeth marks where I held it in my mouth as I climbed that rope to the upper levels.

Yeah, I've done smarter things.
jeepster II likes this.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:01 PM

jeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud ofjeepster II has much to be proud of

I was convinced we could climb the rope based on seeing it once before and taking a pic of it. I even told my gf she could climb it to the upper falls. But when we got there this time we decide to pass based on the fact we couldn't even grab the rope the boulder was so slick. I envy you youngsters. I want to go up there.

Before pic looks easy.
Click the image to open in full size.

After pic I dunno.
mka and karstopo like this.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:08 PM

mka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by myt1 View Post
Did you climb up the rope in the background of the seventh picture
Steve wanted us to get up there, but it was so slick...and the incline was well, looked straight up I swallowed my pride and flat out "chickened out"........
jeepster II and karstopo like this.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:58 PM

el jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud ofel jefe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mka View Post
Steve wanted us to get up there, but it was so slick...and the incline was well, looked straight up I swallowed my pride and flat out "chickened out"........
Funny you mention that. I thought that as I got older (and I'm still early 50s, so not that old) the first thing to go would be something like my balance or my strength or my conditioning. It was not; it was my nerve. I discovered that skiing the North Face at Crested Butte a few years ago, when I suddenly was approaching things that used to be thrilling, with a great deal of caution. My strength, my balance, my athletic ability--such as they ever were--are all still pretty much intact, but the mind will no longer max them out. And that's probably a good thing, since I don't heal as quickly as I once did.
cpiercem, jeepster II, mka and 1 others like this.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:01 PM

myt1 is a splendid one to beholdmyt1 is a splendid one to beholdmyt1 is a splendid one to beholdmyt1 is a splendid one to beholdmyt1 is a splendid one to beholdmyt1 is a splendid one to beholdmyt1 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster II View Post
I carry safetyseals permanent repair kit. Amazing I have never used it on my vehicles. But I have used about 50 seals helping others out mostly off road. Sometimes I use 15 at a time. lol.

Thanks so much for the heads-up.

I ordered a Safetyseal repair kit right after reading your post. I can't believe I didn't have one.

Congrats again on the great fish.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:50 PM

mka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud ofmka has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by el jefe View Post
My strength, my balance, my athletic ability--such as they ever were--are all still pretty much intact, but the mind will no longer max them out.
Haha...after a downhill mountain bike crash on the Sandia slopes broke my clavicle at the age of 61, I assess risks in a more conscious way now that I'm almost 67. I still think I'm 30 and want to do those things I did at that age, but that crash made me a little wiser (I hope).
cpiercem, jeepster II and karstopo like this.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:52 AM

darkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud ofdarkshadow has much to be proud of

Excellent report and nice little natives you have there!

Definitely my type of scenery and access.
jeepster II and mka like this.