The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 12:15 PM

kinger will become famous soon enoughkinger will become famous soon enough
Default Wednesday fishing

So Cromeny and I snuck out a little early from work yesterday and hit a little stream I've been wanting to hit for a while. The drive up didn't take too long and we had a dirt road that took about 30 minutes to reach the stream. We both started with terrestrials, I threw an ant while Clint threw a tan hopper. The first stretch we did not see much action. We did see a few fish hanging out, but they weren't too interested in what we were offering. Clint decided to throw on a white zonker and see if he could hook into something. I tried a tan hopper for a few and then switched to a yellow hopper with a pheasant tail dropper. The stream was absolutely beautiful and looked very promising. A little while later I did hook into a little guy on the dropper, but he popped off before I could land him. Clint was still throwing the streamer and getting bumped, but nothing aggressive enough to take it down. A few bends later and we had our first catch of the day, a fish took my yellow hopper just off the grassy bank. The monkey was finally off our back. Clint decided then to throw on a hopper again. We continued to slap the sides of the stream with our hoppers and pulled in some nice looking browns. The weather was a little disappointing, it rained a good portion of the time and we are sure it pushed the fish down. The water was a little off color and was running higher than normal according to Clint, this was my first time on this particular stream. All in all, I had a great time and want to get back there BAD. The area is amazing and the fish are beautiful. Here are a few pictures of our little adventure.

This guy pounded the hopper
Click the image to open in full size.
Yellow was what they wanted
Another good looking fish
Not the pretties, but first fish of the day
Old 08-19-2010, 12:31 PM

cromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nice
Default Re: Wednesday fishing

Nice report kinger. We need to hit this water again soon.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like fun guys! great pics. Good to see hopperz finally taking off after the odd Spring/Summer we've had.
Thanks for posting Josh.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 08-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Josh: Excellent trip report and photos! Congrats on the great looking fish, good to see your getting some action on the hoppers.

Larry
Old 08-23-2010, 02:06 PM
bigredfly is on a distinguished road

Good report. Always nice to hit up some nice fish on a new stream.

-Ben
Old 08-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Fish like that are worth working for! Excellent report and pics.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.