The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2008, 02:11 PM

drowningworms is on a distinguished road
Default Perfect 6 day fishing trip from Driggs, Idaho

Hello Everyone,

First post. If you could design your dream trip for 6 days of fishing with your base camp being Driggs, Idaho, what would it be? Although I have fished lots of places, I have never fished this area and just looking for ideas. Me and my buddy are experienced fly fishermen (although not good) and have no problem mixing it up with maybe a day or two of guided floats on streams to some lake fishing, to hiking and fishing were no one else fishes, etc. Due to my buddy working for the USFS down in AZ, we may have to focus on the month of August, but please let us know if there is a better time to fish this area. I realize it may be hard to get away from crowds, but I would prefer less fish if it meant less crowds .

Tight lines and Screaming reels,

Scott Nugent
Old 05-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perfect 6 day fishing trip from Driggs, Idaho

drowningworms

I haven't fished that area but you would have lots of good water to choose from: South Fork of the Snake, The Snake, Henry's Fork to name just a few. With the snow pack the Rockies have this year I think an august trip would be ideal. Davo guides on the Snake River out of Jackson Hole, maybe he can jump in here with some suggestions. I know there are a number of access points along the South Fork where you can fish, especially later in the year when the water levels go back down. Fyshstykr also knows that area so hopefully he will also chime in with more detailed advise.

Larry
Old 05-16-2008, 07:31 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowningworms View Post
Hello Everyone,

First post. If you could design your dream trip for 6 days of fishing with your base camp being Driggs, Idaho, what would it be? Me and my buddy are experienced fly fishermen (although not good) and have no problem mixing it up with maybe a day or two of guided floats on streams to some lake fishing, to hiking and fishing were no one else fishes, etc. .
Scott Nugent
Scott

Basing out of Driggs is a good choice. You have a lot of water close as well as with in decent travel distance. Mcnerney already mentioned the biggies. There is also the Teton River right there in Driggs. August can be tougher on the smaller streams and creeks due to water temps. You can drive to Alpine WY and hit the Greys and the salt. Venture a bit farther and you can hit the upper Green. Go into the south west corner of the Park near Ashton and hit the Bechler and the Falls rivers. Thats what comes off the top of my head. Think Fyshstykr will have some more for you.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-17-2008, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Scott,
Great place to base out of, as mentioned there is alot of great water in the area.
Most of the places I would hit have been mentioned, if your willing to travel about an hour and a half north up towards West Yellowstone you could hit 'Hebgen Lake' and fish for gulpers in the early morning hours, monster fish that cruise around looking for Calibaetis emergers and adults.
Best fishing being from sunlight till the wind comes up, usually around 10:00/11:00.

Typically you need a boat of some kind, the object is to spot a riser and cast where you think he will come up next, can be quite challenging.

If your in that area you could spend the afternoon fishing the 'Box Canyon' of The Henry's Fork, and the evening fishing Rusty Spinners on the 'Ranch' section about 3-4 miles downstream, not the easiest of waters to angle as the fish are educated by some of the best Flyfisherman from around the world.

Hope this helps you out.

If you decide on a guide, let me know, I know some good ones in that area(West Yellowstone, Henry's Fork, and South Fork), you may want to consider hooking up with Davo for the area's closer to Driggs or Jackson, I think he would take good care of ya.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 06-05-2008, 03:00 PM

Flywgn will become famous soon enoughFlywgn will become famous soon enough

Scott,

I could spend the entire six days on the Teton River. There are several places which would be free from crowds since most fly-fishing visitors to that area are looking for the more famous rivers, but the Teton R and its tributaries (like ***** Ck and Teton Ck) can be great fun, as well as productive. Be aware that if you journey too far upstream on a couple of those creeks, you might need a WY fishing license.

Allen R