The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Memorial weekend

While several of our friends went farther north for the big opening at Henry's we stopped about half way at another Idaho lake. I call this lake Chironomid Heaven cause they WORK. It is deeper lake with 50 to 60' at deeper points. I generally fish the 20' mark.
We got there Sat. morning and set up camp. Got out on the water with instant action. I fished mainly the deep nymph 20' leader with a chironomid at the bottom and one three feet up.
We caught well over 60 fish each with 2 to 3 hour outings before weather changed. Monday rained all day with gust of wind, but turned out that shore fishing was working just as well.
All fish very healthy with a16" to 24" being the normal (nothing under 16")
Here is the kicker, I have several upper end rods, but recently bought a new Eagle Claw Glass rod (6 wt. 6') off e-bay for like $10. I and I decided to use it for fun. The line cost more than the rod let alone the reel! What a hoot! This thing was bent to the max everytime, but I do think it helped on the hook sets and the leader.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:46 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Memorial weekend

Nice pics Joni...looks a tad cold though...Is this lake just south of Pocatello? Looks familiar to me.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

About an hour south of Pokie. Thanks
Old 05-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Joni, you seem to have a knack for catching porkers.

I caught about 20 Monday afternoon, but none were bigger than a longneck. GORgeous stretch of river though. I'll try to get some good pictures of the spot someday.

I briefly was connected to a 2' sucker, but he quickly decided that the nose-ring look wasn't for him.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:02 AM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

Joni - I thought so...My best fishing bud lives in Pocci...I've been on that lake...had a blast....used my Phillipson 6 wt Boo.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:15 AM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

Hi Joni
I reported the post above mine as it is spam and does not belong in your thread.

I bought that Eagle claw rod also. IT is cool isn't it?

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.