The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 11:13 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Lake Davis

Hey Mike (fishherman),

Welcome to the board! I think you will like this one.

Mike is my accross the street neighbor and my fishing buddy (Also the guy who kicked my butt on fish count that last couple times at Davis). I think I still have him on size, if not volume, in the truckee though

Dave
Old 09-29-2010, 02:38 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

As much as I fish, I'm better at beer.
Let me know if the event takes shape, I'll make a night of it.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 09-29-2010, 09:03 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

The last time i looked at a map, Lake Davis was in CA. milt.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:37 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

yes davis is in cali but it is still considered a "local" lake for us in Reno which is on the border of CA
Old 09-30-2010, 07:29 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Pack has it right, for still water, Davis, Frenchman's, Stampede, and Boca are close to Reno, and while it is considerable (and seems to keep getting higher), a lot of us buy both NV and CA tags each year.

I personally fish the Truckee (River) and Davis (Stillwater) the most throughout the year. Davis over the others because the fish are decent (lots of 16 to 18 and some footballs occassionally) and Davis is a no jetski, waterski lake so you are not getting knocked around by high speed wakes.

d
Old 09-30-2010, 10:18 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

10-4 My favorite destination is in your backyard... 45 min north. milt. Just hit me... opens in just a few more hours too!
Old 10-01-2010, 07:09 AM

Milt,

If it is not giving away any secrets, where do you go that is 45 mins north of Reno and does not open until October? I am always willing to try a new place, especially if the fishing is good.

Dave
Old 10-01-2010, 09:02 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

my guess would be Pyramid cuase the season opens tomorrow I believe.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:12 AM

duh? I forgot about Pyramid closing down, I have only fished it once with a friend, and do want to get back and try it again, we got blown off the water the first time....

FishHerman and I are heading up to Davis again this morning, wish us luck!

d
Old 10-03-2010, 09:51 PM

Well, we hit davis again, and had a great day! Fish were rising to Midge emergers (Martis Midges) and also taking caddis emergers porpoising on the surface, I even hooked a fish or two on a caddis pupae and FishHerman hooked a few on the surface with an Fall Caddis Stimulator (Orange Stimi).

There were 5 of us fishing in one area and I would venture to guess that between the 5 of us there was not more then 10 or 15 minutes when someone did not have a fish on and the majority were over 14 inches, with some in the 18 to 20 inch range. I actually had one take me for a little ride on my float tube.

A great day and lots of fun was had by all, we actually did some catching and not just fishing!

dave