The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 11:06 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Lake Davis

A buddy and I spent a couple mornings fishing lake davis, mornings because we took the float tubes out and the wind picked up around noon.

OK, blood midges definately were hatching, but I believe that we were seeing some fall caddis as well (I am not so good at Latin I will leave it at that). What I do know is that my buddy caught several fish in the 4 hours we were at the lake, and had hits on many more using an october caddis pupa pattern. Basically a big nymph on a size 8 2xl with an orange body and a dark back. It kinda looked like a burkes hex pattern except it had orange instead of cream for the body and had plastic bead eyes.

This pattern was fished trolled behind a float tube and probably about 4 to 6 feet under (10 foot leader and a small split shot being trolled).

I had several hits, snapped one off, but never got to the net with any of them, not a good couple days for me when my buddy was pulling in 8 or 10 a day. I musta had somthing not quite right in the drift and was a little late on my hooksets. Stuff happens.

Now, my buddy uses a fishcat 4 float tube, I use a U-tube, he can troll at about twice the speed as I can with his V-shape, maybe this was the issue as I was too slow and was not getting high enough in the column. Never fear though, I have not given up yet, hoping to hit the lake again on Sunday!

Dave
Old 09-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lake Davis

Dave: Nice trip report, sorry you weren't landing more fish, but I know the pain, it happens to all of us every now and then.

Larry
Old 09-23-2010, 12:38 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the report. I have never fished Davis in the fall. Maybe I'll get my butt up there.

MP
Old 09-24-2010, 06:59 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Davis in the Fall is something you have to do! Not all days are great, but I can say my only 50 fish day in the last 4 years has been on davis lake in October. You just gotta key into what they are eating, and be willing to switch if the conditions change. On our big day, we started fishing the bottom, and when that went cool (the water started warming up) we switched to GRHEs about 4 feet below the surface, followed by weighted wooly buggers back near the bottom once it got hot out and the fish stopped rising.

d
Old 09-24-2010, 12:45 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Fishing it in the spring can be pretty wicked too. Get there when the runoff creeks are flowing and the bows just stack up in the bays ready to be hooked. The lake just isn't the same without the Pike though. They were fun to catch!
Old 09-24-2010, 03:43 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Lets not temp some dimwit to restock them though.
It was a truly great fishery before they somehow showed up.
Not that I have anything against giant toothy fish.
Just want to go back to the days of footballs rolling on the surface eating snails that I tyed.
Keep those puppies way down the hill!

Jim

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 01-24-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:09 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Let's pray someone doesn't illegally plant Northern Pike back into Lake Davis. It would be a shame for the town of Portola to go through all the troubles that it did all over again.

MP
Old 09-25-2010, 09:16 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Dennis, that is a great point.
We think a lot of ourselves, fishing is not only thing factoring in here.
That town has had a rough go, water supply jepordised, and lack tourism, right when the economy tanked.
I think I'll drive up, buy some flies, a beer/lunch, and FISH.
It's the least I can do to help.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 09-26-2010, 07:09 AM

You know, there are enough of us here that we could really help the economy and also get some fishing in, perhaps a weekend camping trip to the lake, campsites are $20 a night, we could do a "fish in".

Bring the camper opr tent, a couple days on the lake, fishing, tying flies, consuming your favorite beverage, telling fish stories, and maybe a run to the grizzley store for a frostie or a burger!

d
Old 09-28-2010, 01:03 PM

fishherman is on a distinguished road

That was a great day. Wish I had more days like that one.