The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 05:11 PM

kinger will become famous soon enoughkinger will become famous soon enough
Default Henry's Fork

Okay, so we had a GREAT few days up at Henry's Fork. Cromney, Gabe(one of our good friends from work), a couple of his friends and myself made it up to Henry's Fork this last weekend. All in all we had mucho success. We arrived Friday morning and fished through Sunday. Gabe and his two friends left Saturday while Clint and I stayed to fish. Gabe's family has a cabin up there, so we were lucky enough to be able to say in a warm cabin the two nights. The weather was rainy on Friday and cool, while the other days were still cool, but with clouds and occasional sun.

We hooked into a lot of nice fish over the weekend. Gabe's friend Ryan who came along had a day of a lifetime with two fished he hooked that day. I saw the second one, but did not witness the first and it was impressive. I will include some pictures here of the beast. According to him and Gabe the one he hooked before this was bigger. He hooked them back to back which was pretty cool.

Clint and I were the only ones carrying cameras so we took some nice pics over the span of the three days. I'll post a number of them here and I know Clint will add to them. We can't stop thinking and talking about the weekend and wish we were still up there now. ENJOY...

Clint with a beauty of a brown. Nice stache, it helped him land mucho fish
Click the image to open in full size.

Ryan's huge brown (Don't let the cheesy smile distract from the beauty of the fish)

Me with a nice brown

Clint with a cutbow

Another one of Ryan's brown

Clint with another nice brown
Old 10-13-2010, 05:22 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Henry's Fork

Josh: WOW! Looks like you guys had an epic weekend on the Henry's Fork, congrats on the great looking fish! Be sure to post your Browns on the Brown Trout thread. Brown Trout Pics

Larry
Old 10-13-2010, 09:31 PM

cromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nice

It was a great time to say the least. Good water, good fish and good company. Here are few pics from my side:

Josh at work
Another view of Josh's slab
More of Josh's reward
Scarface
Josh's prized catch
Bow
Old 10-14-2010, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Dudes, "Epic Trip" Indeed! Nice!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 10-14-2010, 09:46 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post and pics! You fished some of my favorite stretches and runs and caught some of those great 'piggies' that reside there, well done. Thanks for sharing. What tactics and flies served you best on this trip?

Kelly.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:05 AM

kinger will become famous soon enoughkinger will become famous soon enough

Oh, Clint reminded me to post his fav catch of the weekend.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:07 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly: What are you doing letting those Utah boys sneak into your back yard and making off with those monsters!

Larry
Old 10-14-2010, 04:47 PM

Flywgn will become famous soon enoughFlywgn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinger View Post
Okay, so we had a GREAT few days up at Henry's Fork...
I'd say so. Nice report and photos. I'd bet the Henry's Fork reaches most N. American fly-fisher's Top Five streams. Well, I have no proof of that estimate, but that doesn't matter...does it??

Thanks again. Good on ya'.

Allen R
Old 10-14-2010, 05:00 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Holy TOLEDO!
The rare times I get to fish the Henrys Fork every year I'm tickled pink to get a very few, small fish.
We fish it because of the challenge. Don't look like that it's much of a challenge for you boys.
Fine report!
Old 10-14-2010, 11:13 PM

cromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
Excellent post and pics! You fished some of my favorite stretches and runs and caught some of those great 'piggies' that reside there, well done. Thanks for sharing. What tactics and flies served you best on this trip?

Kelly.
Thanks Kelly, it was great fun. We used a lot of flies from small BWO emergers to big streamers and everything in between. Used full sink lines on the streamer dredging the bottom. All the stuff we threw produced good fish but the major factor was getting the flies on the bottom of the river. Long leaders(13-15') while nymphing was key. Took me a few hours to figure that I needed to lengthen my leader a few feet.

I may be up your way again next weekend, I'll let you know. Maybe we can get out together.

Clint