The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 05:25 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Reno Fly Shop

To all of the local Reno fly guys here that occasionally head to the Reno Fly Shop for supplies or to chat, it was announced recently that owner Dave Stanley has decided to close uo shop after 30 years.
Here's a quote from his latest email:

To All My Friends,

After almost 30 years of owning and operating the Reno Fly Shop, the time has come for me to get out of the retail business and move on. I have come to this decision for many reasons; some personal, some economic and some business related.

I have met a lot of friends in there and it will be missed. On the bright side he is having a closeout sale on everything in store so get it there and say thanks and pick up a few things.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:23 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reno Fly Shop

I read about that in another forum. I wish Dave the best.

MP
Old 11-23-2010, 07:18 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

His plans are to still offer his guide service but he doesn't want to do retail anymore by the sounds of it. Doors will close on the first of the new year.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:51 AM

goldentrout is on a distinguished road

I am not "in the loop" so, I wonder what this means for Truckee River Outfitters in Truckee, Ca.. I'm not sure of Mr. Stanley's envolvment with them and not even sure if they are still in business now for that matter.
Just curious because I thought they were an extention of the Reno Fly Shop.
Somebody line me out..........
Old 11-24-2010, 11:33 AM

Dave did rent out the building owned by Dave's ski shop for the fly shop in the warmer months but he hasn't had that open for 2 years now because of the economy and I also think Andy Burk opening his own shop up there had a little to do with it too but that is just speculation. So yes Dave did own the Truckee shop too but closed it a little while ago.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:53 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I talked to Andy about the Truckee River Outfitters building. It is owned by someone who owns a lot of the property on the strip. It was leased to Dave's Ski Shop during the winter and to Reno Fly Shop during the summer. When the lease was up for renewal, the owner put the lease rate through the roof to a point that it would not have been profitable to operate a fly shop.

MP
Old 11-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Does this mean that Reno will no longer have a fly shop or are there others?

Frank
Old 11-25-2010, 07:01 PM

goldentrout is on a distinguished road

I maybe should let someone else answer that question, but what the heck.
With the RFS gone, there is no dedicated fly shop in Reno/Sparks.
Unless you consider the fishing counters at Cabela's, Sportsman's Wearhouse,Scheels and another locally owned sporting goods store a fly shop. Cabela's is the closest there is to a real fly shop with flyfishing folks working that corner of the superstore. They have the biggest and best inventory. I haven't been there for couple of years.

I had no idea Andy had opened a shop in Truckee. (I'm so out of it)
Hope he makes a good run of it. He seems like a great guy and would be worth checking out. I like his written articles too. Too bad he doesn't slide into the RFS....Probably smart enough too see the writting on the wall with this economy.

I thought TRO had been gone for awhile but wasn't sure. I saw the ski shop in that building, but didn't know if they had just moved somewhere else or what. .............Thanks for the info!
All very sad for Reno/Sparks.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:35 PM

The Reno Fly Shop and the Gilly were the only true fly shops in Reno. The Gilly closed just after Cabelas opened due to heavy competion. Andy's shop didn't last too long because he didn't market at all so no one knew he was there except his friends and a few others through word of mouth. It also wasn't very profitable so he closed up at the end of last year. The only other fly shops around are in South Lake Tahoe, Carson City and Gardenerville which REALLY sucks as they are all at least 30 to 45 minutes the wrong direction of the Truckee. There are major retailers like Cabelas, Scheels and Sportsman's but the quality at the big stores just sucks.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:45 AM

There is an Orvis store near the turn off to Mount Rose. I have not been inside that location.

MP