The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 09:38 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Got out again today for a few hours

Got out on the Truckee again today - East of town, was a little slow due to the wind and all, but was able to land a nice 20" bow on a dark EHC. Started with a copper john, then a streamer, nothing was biting anywhere, then we had some baetis on the water starting around 1 pm, I could see them floating on the water, but nothing was rising. I think it was the wind and incoming storm keeping the fish down, win ddied for about 15 or 30 minutes, and the fish started rising. Caught the bow in the first 10 minutes of this period, the commotion he made shut down all the other fish in the area where I was and by the time I got resituated in anther location, they stopped rising altogether. Any way, one nice bow is better then getting skunked.

Thought I would pass this on to others in the area.

d
Old 03-01-2009, 07:51 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got out again today for a few hours

Dave

Sounds like your getting some good fishing in, congrats on the rainbow!

Larry
Old 03-01-2009, 09:03 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Sounds like a good break. Good fish to man
Bear
Old 03-01-2009, 10:11 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys, yep, was about to wrap it up, when the hatch went off, decided to stay a little longer, and ended the day on a positive.

I took a newbie buddy with me yesterday, he didn't catch anything, but had fun, and says he wants to go again. Spent time showing him how to mend, and how to read the river (passed on the little bit I know), so all in all it was a good day.

d
Old 03-12-2009, 07:43 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I've been hearing a lot of good reports but have yet to get out lately. I hear downtown is fishing well if you can find an open hole. 67 degrees next Tuesday too, might have to take the day off and wet a line near Mustang.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:52 PM

I got out for a couple hours today also, east of town - river is still high, fast and murky, I took a few hits, during a real light BWO hatch but failed to land any. Set the hook a little hard and snapped off a tippet on a couple. When the hatch goes off, dark brown caddis imitation floating high and dry is working for me. When there is no hatch, a rootbear wooly bugger or my wooly sculpin have worked dead drifted through the deep holes.

I drifted a copper john through all the same holes under an indicator today and got no contact, well, there may have been one hit, but it jumped sideways and then nothing so fast I didnt hook anything. YMMV.

I am picking up pointers on where the fish are when the afternoon hatch is going off though so it was not a waste, and of course, it was better then being at work.

d
Old 03-13-2009, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
I got out for a couple hours today also, east of town - river is still high, fast and murky, I took a few hits, during a real light BWO hatch but failed to land any. Set the hook a little hard and snapped off a tippet on a couple. When the hatch goes off, dark brown caddis imitation floating high and dry is working for me. When there is no hatch, a rootbear wooly bugger or my wooly sculpin have worked dead drifted through the deep holes.

I drifted a copper john through all the same holes under an indicator today and got no contact, well, there may have been one hit, but it jumped sideways and then nothing so fast I didnt hook anything. YMMV.

I am picking up pointers on where the fish are when the afternoon hatch is going off though so it was not a waste, and of course, it was better then being at work.

d
You're saying you're fishing a caddis with success during a BWO (mayfly) hatch? Cool. I'm wondering what pattern it is. Some like a X Caddis actually look a good bit like a mayfly with a trailing shuck, while some like a EHC don't look much like a mayfly at all.

X Caddis
Click the image to open in full size.

Elk Hair Caddis

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:51 AM

Small "dark brown" died elk hair on a size 14 with a brown hackle. right size right color and floating on top. The hatch - now I'm not a bug guy - the bugs floating on the river I am told are BWO duns and the color is almost an exact match. here is a picture of what they look like. Google Image Result for http://k53.pbase.com/u16/michellemahood/upload/38979010.bwo1withorangeeyes.jpg

Not sure what the caddis is called but it has a dark tail consisting of about 6 elk (deer actually) fibers and about half the length of the shank. brown dubbing and a brown deer hair wing with a medium brown hackle (the deer hair is died kind of a rusty brown). Floats high on the water and the fish are hitting it.

I can post a pic later, just got to go out to the garage and pull it out of my box.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:22 AM

Here is the fly that I am fishing during the hatch.

Maybe it is not a caddis imitation, but I am just calling it that since it has elk hair on it. I did OK with a brown adams as well during this hatch when I lost a couple of the pictured ones due to snapping off the tippet when I set the hook too hard.

d