The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Western U.S.

Western U.S. Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 03:03 AM

gtom61 is on a distinguished road
Default Great backpacking-fly fishing places

Hi

Now that i have my 1st fly fishing trip under my belt (Trinity River for steelhead), I want to go on my first backpacking / fly fishing trip in April or May and wanted some suggestions for places in California or Nevada. Two places that interest me are Desolation Wilderness and Tuolumne Meadows. I would like a relatively easy/moderate hike, flatter the better, and no more than 4-5 miles in. Probably a two-night trip would be about right for me.

Appreciate any input on places, fishing gear/tackle, and general tips. I think i'm pretty good with the backpacking stuff. Thanks in advance.

Gerry
Old 02-03-2011, 09:49 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Great backpacking-fly fishing places

There are quite a few lakes down by Bridgeport and Lee Vining that are decent hikes where you could get yourself into some goldens. REI has a bunch of topo trail maps for around 10 bucks that are fantastic for planning trips into the woods, check them out.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:48 AM

Thanks, Chris. I'll check those places out and I'm near an REI so i'll definitely stop in and have a look.

Gerry
Old 02-04-2011, 09:15 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Probably too early for Tuolumne meadows. The road doesn't usualy open until Memorial Day.

If you can wait until July.. coming up from Devils Postpile into John Muir wilderness is great.. however it's far from level - lol
Old 02-04-2011, 10:10 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Try and push a high elevation trip as far into the summer as you can. There can be quite a bit of snow around in april still.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi gtom61,

You are going to be way early for the high Sierras in April and probably in May. California has had a lot of snow and I don't think it will be gone till late May, or even early June. You will have to keep track of how the snow melt is going in the area you want to fish. Even if you can hike to some of these areas the streams may be high and hard to fish.

Frank
Old 02-04-2011, 02:17 PM

Thanks everyone... I guess it might be a bit early since i am going skiing in two weeks in Tahoe... Guess for now, i'll just plan for some non-backpacking alternatives for March/April.

Gerry