The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Youth Fly Fishing

Youth Fly Fishing A place for our younger members to comunicate with each other.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 11:56 AM

montana man is on a distinguished road
Default Re: what rods do our youth use

St croix triumph, but im saving up and almost have enough for Winston GVX/ Lamson Guru combo...Cant wait!
Old 12-14-2011, 11:10 AM

flytyer123 will become famous soon enoughflytyer123 will become famous soon enough

all saint croix imperials for me.
9ft 5 wt
9ft 8 wt
6'6" 2 wt
9ft 10 wt
9ft 6 wt with a 7 wt line
Old 12-14-2011, 05:43 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

tfo bvk 9 weight
Old 12-15-2011, 02:57 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleccy View Post
How to people rate the TFO pro series in terms of action? I can imagine that the build quality is reflected by the price. I wouldn't mind a 9ft #4 as a spare rod for my pack.
Hi Pleecy.
I have a #2 8ft 3pce & a mate has a #4 7'6" 4pce in The Pro Series TFO Rated Med/Fast,They are both nice Rods however using them is like Driving a Nail in with a Hammer.
Even though I've read good reports on their other Rods I haven't cast them,their services & warranties are Excellent.
Brian.

Last edited by Liphookedau; 12-15-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:35 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I'll answer for my son (age 11).
He uses a Redington Crosswater 9' 5wt. outfit and does well with it. It was a real value on closeout (last year's model at 1/2 price) and had proven to be a good durable rod with an action (rated med/fast, but closer to med) a beginner can use easily.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:01 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

This is my first post and the stuff I have is pretty meager comparde to some, but I just took up fly-fishing and just turned 16, so its not too bad.

Cabela's Stowaway 7 8' 5wt with RLS reel.
Cabela's Wind River 8'6" 4wt with three forks reel.

And soon I will have a custom rod. A 7'6" St. Croix Imperial 4wt with an Allen Reel.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi newby,

Welcome to the forum, your rod sounds like a great set to fish with. Don't let the age thing stop you from joining in the discussions here, OK...........

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-13-2012, 03:52 PM

crazyfish13 is on a distinguished road

Echo GECKO 7'9 4wt 3 Peice Med fast with System one

"Me got no house, me all time moving, light fire, make tent, sleep, all time go fish, how have house?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:23 PM

bucktail will become famous soon enoughbucktail will become famous soon enough

Reddington 8 weight crosswater combo,

Reddington 8 weight red fly combo,

white river Heat 10 weight combo

Guide series 6 weight

TFO 5 weight
Old 03-14-2012, 03:02 PM

halibutk is on a distinguished road

Granted up here in Alaska, some places I could tie a bead to yard tied to the end of a stick and my kid could catch fish. I used my 5 year old kid as a reason to buy a new 5 wt and to him went my old 2 piece sage 5wt when i got my new rod. He has a spare too which was a cheap Cabelas rod my family got him for Christmas.

Kids will use anything you give them. They arent skilled to know the differences so my opinion is any old rod you have that you want to upgrade, give it to the kid and use that as a excuse to convince the wife you need a new rod.