The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Youth Fly Fishing

Youth Fly Fishing A place for our younger members to comunicate with each other.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 06:03 AM

Pleccy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How many fish do you catch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
Do you think fishing would be interesting if we could catch as many fish as we want?
No I don't really, there's a tiny, 2 acre fishery about 2 miles from my home that is literally stuffed with pellet-fed rainbows. In my opinion it's damned boring...
Old 11-08-2009, 10:45 PM

TB3 is on a distinguished road

It all depends- new vs. familiar stream, species, water conditions, hatches, etc...

Most trout outings I average between 6 and 8 fish, occasionally more, often fewer. After I've caught three or four I feel comfortable I've figured them out. I've had a lot of fun mindlessly catching trout- even a couple honest-to-God 50 fish days. It's so fun it's silly. But I also enjoy being able to perfectly recollect the one or two fish I catch on a "slow" day...where they rose, how they looked, what they took, etc.

I tend to do better warmwater fishing, and probably average 10-15 bass over 12 inches on a decent outing. Again, sometimes more, more often less.

And I also tend to fish better if my dinner depends on it
Old 11-11-2009, 06:46 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I caught 6 in an hour ths morning, I went out yesterday evening and caught nothing in two hours. The thing is to learn from somehting new from each outing. I know a spot or two that I can go and catch 15-30 trout in a morning, if things are just right, buts its "give me fishing" not fishing, and thats fun once in awhile, but the days I enjoy most are the ones that I have to figure the fish out and have time to watch the King fisher that is usally on my river, the red fox I watched for close to an hour last week, the guy I meet and fished with for a couple yours a couple days ago. We both caught a few fish, but the conversation was just as fun.
Its kinda like the spawners right now(brown trout) ANYONE (almost) can catch a 10-15 lbs brown right now, on the shoals while they are spawning, is it cool, yeah, kinda, but I would mutch reather catch my 15 brown next month, or in june, when I REALY have to fish for it, not just drift about any fly over a reed and hook one.
You'll find in your life as you age, the size and count isnt near as much fun as the trip. Now dont get me wrong, numbers and size are still great, just not as important as they use to be
Take care
Bear
Old 05-10-2010, 08:31 PM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough

To be honest guys catching fish isn't the only thing about fishing. It's about getting out in the outdoors admiring the beauty and meeting and enjoying the company of people. And I have the occasional skunk.... but who doesn't?
imxer likes this.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:09 PM

teton drifter is on a distinguished road

My Progression as a Fly Fisher. First I wanted to catch ANY fish....Second ,I wanted to catch LOTS of fish...Next ,I wanted to catch BIG fish...And now ,15 years later , I just want to go Fishing.
imxer, mcnerney and thorsten like this.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum. Wow you must have had to dig deep to find this thread. Yah the whole numbers per day thing is an impossible question to answer. I live in a place it's really hard to get skunked at, but once in a while still do. Once in a while I have days so good I need a witness just so it doesn't sound like a fish story.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:45 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Twice in my atlantic salmon fishing life, I have gone 7 days, fishing 8 hours per day, without so much as a tug. And trust me, its not free fishing. But I still had a hell of a good time. Which is sort of what it's about with me.
Gary
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:36 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

I catch a Wild Steelhead about every 1,000 casts...
Old 01-12-2013, 08:40 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

I only count the first one, and thank it as well. At the end of the day, thinking it over, sometimes it's a lot, sometimes it's a few, but being that I live in Colorado it's always at least one.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:44 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

A few, I like dry fly the best but willing to nymph or steamer, if necessary.doesn't take as many at 71 yrs old as it did at 40. Just happy with a few.