The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Youth Fly Fishing

Youth Fly Fishing A place for our younger members to comunicate with each other.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 12:02 AM

katorade is on a distinguished road
Default How many fish do you catch?

How many fish do you normally catch an outing?
I catch 1-3 trout on a trout stream and if I go down on the warm water river fly fishing for Smallmouth Bass, carp, catfish, and bluegills I will catch 4 or more.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:56 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default Re: How many fish do you catch?

it depends
Old 10-30-2009, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Kato,

Sometimes nothing, that's when I have my deeper philosophical moments. It is a good time to be happy in your own skin and it serves to make a day better when I do catch something.
imxer and runningfish like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-31-2009, 10:59 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

One to three each outing this year. That's in many different places. That also counts the one four incher that I catch each outing, usually on a size 12.

Last edited by Jimmie; 11-06-2009 at 12:14 PM. Reason: each outing instead of all year
Old 10-31-2009, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

I am at the age that catching is not a lot of the adventure. I seldom get skunked with Trout but Bass here in Florida is another situation. I will never be as good at catching big Bass as I am at catching Trout.

With Trout, If I can catch at least one good fish then it has been a good trip. With Bass fishing I am skunked a bit more often than I like. But it does offer a challenge. Being cold or too hot is not as much fun as it use to be. There is some great saltwater fish where I am at but it is hard to get to and I can't take the heat.

Frank
Old 10-31-2009, 05:17 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

I'm always skeptical about guys who brag about 40-50 fish per day. I suppose it happens in certain instances, but my gut says it can't be that often. I've fished most of my life, and I now fish quite often with a very experienced fly fisher, who works at a local shop.

We both get skunked our fair share, and a few nice fish will always make our day.

Some of our best outings have been fishless. For me it's the journey, not the destination. I just got back from the Eastern Sierra for a one-week trip. The bite wasn't as hot as I expected, but we did catch some fish. Probably the best part of the trip, aside from the cameraderie, was watching a bald eagle dive into a lake and grab his breakfast...I got skunked that morning, by the way.

Cheers,

VB
Old 10-31-2009, 06:33 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I catch as many as the fishing gods will allow. Which is a hell of a lot less than I plan on.
But catch rate doesn't bother me. When I was younger, I wanted to catch one on every cast. Then reality set in. Today I target fish. Whether it's in moving or stillwater.
If I catch them, cool. If I don't that's cool too.
At least I'm not at work, or better than that, I'm not pushing up daisies.

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by von behr View Post
I'm always skeptical about guys who brag about 40-50 fish per day. I suppose it happens in certain instances, but my gut says it can't be that often. I've fished most of my life, and I now fish quite often with a very experienced fly fisher, who works at a local shop.

We both get skunked our fair share, and a few nice fish will always make our day.

Some of our best outings have been fishless. For me it's the journey, not the destination. I just got back from the Eastern Sierra for a one-week trip. The bite wasn't as hot as I expected, but we did catch some fish. Probably the best part of the trip, aside from the cameraderie, was watching a bald eagle dive into a lake and grab his breakfast...I got skunked that morning, by the way.

Cheers,

VB
Joni and I have had a couple good days when we've caught close to 80+ fish each. These were up at some Uinta lakes in Utah. The planets were all aligned, the weather was cool and perfect, we were in tubes from about 7am until past 4pm. All caught on dries, all within 10'-20' of the tubes (no need that day to cast any further) and all small brookies or planter bows. I had several times when I released one, put the rod across the bow of the tube, dried my hands, picked the rod up within seconds of drying my hands and a fish would be on the line. It was actually getting to the point of being boring.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:22 AM

katorade is on a distinguished road

Uintahs sound pretty easy not far go up there to camp when I get my license.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:52 AM

Pleccy is on a distinguished road

Normally one or two from stillwaters (per visit) on average, sometimes upto around 5-6, depending on the conditions and whether I'm concentrating or not.

As for rivers, the fishing can get a little patchy at times, but normally 2-3 fish come to the net on each visit.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know....I never count.Sometimes a lot....sometimes a few
Do you think fishing would be interesting if we could catch as many fish as we want?We would quicky get tired of it and sell all our gearI have nothing to sell...for the moment
imxer likes this.