The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Youth Fly Fishing

Youth Fly Fishing A place for our younger members to comunicate with each other.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 08:42 PM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough
Default Plans After School?

Do any of the other youth on here plan on getting into guiding after high school or college? Or better yet what are your plans after school? Will you still get out on the water as much as you do now, more, or less?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:07 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default Re: Plans After School?

it depends. im not in the water much as it is right now but well see... planning on some kind of college but if i dont get much of a scholarship might have to join the military to get my schooling. 3 years of school left so well see
Old 08-01-2010, 02:05 AM

bhflyfisher has a spectacular aura aboutbhflyfisher has a spectacular aura about

I've just come to the board recently and im in high school right now. Been fly fishing for 8 years. I want to do some guiding after school is over. I would probably start guiding on the bow river. Seeing how im so close, or some of the pothole lakes around Edmonton, or even our eastslope and westslope cutthroat trout streams!

I get out just about every weekend, caught my personal bests this year 2 rainbows at 24 and 26"s and then a 22 inch cutthroat and a 22 inch brown! FLY FISHING IS AWESOME
fredaevans and saucebox11 like this.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:44 AM

fishtacos will become famous soon enoughfishtacos will become famous soon enough

As someone who is not too far removed from the college decision, think about doing college AND guiding. Most normal ppl don't know what they want to do when they go to college, so just pick a spot that's surrounded by good fishing. College isn't that much work. You will have plenty time to fish and guide.

edit: not to mention, college was one of the best times of my life.

Last edited by fishtacos; 09-05-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:03 AM

flytyer123 will become famous soon enoughflytyer123 will become famous soon enough

im planning on guiding and working for little river outfitters after high school. I plan on going to maryville college and it is closer to the smokeys than home.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I've been going to school for 56 yearswill retire in 2013...my planswell ...enjoy myself and fish more often
fredaevans and andrew_rigsby like this.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:12 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

This is my first year in college and I would like to recommend something. When you are applying put down that you fly fish and if you tie fly's put that down to it makes you look unique and original because there are not a lot of kids that do those sort of things.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:18 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

guiding is my absolute dream but its a hard venue to get into.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:11 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I would love to guide while I do grad school and I certainly have the time, especially during the weekends, but I don't have nearly enough experience with fly fishing or the fishery I live near. Get back to me in ten years and maybe I'll give you a better answer

For those interested in guiding, Tom Rosenbauer just did a podcast on getting into guiding and the life of a guide, its one of the Orvis News blog podcasts and its certainly informative. I may try to get a job for a bit of the summer working at a saltwater outfitters near my parents' home just to get more experience on the water and with fly fishing. I've been fishing since before I can remember but I don't think I'm to the point yet where I could be a guide skill-wise, and in particular, I don't know my specific fishery well enough as I just moved to WNY. You really have to know the waters you will be guiding on backward, forward, and sideways in order to start taking clients out as far as I've heard. Taking my friends out to catch fish is one thing, taking clients is a whole different story.

There are quite a few guides here on the forum, pick their brains as much as you can

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-14-2011, 05:38 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

if i was to become a guide i would spend a year purely fishing my target water just to learn everything.
fysh likes this.