The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Youth Fly Fishing

Youth Fly Fishing A place for our younger members to comunicate with each other.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 04:40 PM

fredy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Opinions for a 5yr old

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Once my boys discovered girls they dropped the flyrods.
LOL!

I think I might go with a 8' 5wt. He likes the color blue, batson has an IM6 Forcast blank in blue, I think I might build him one with the Forcast blank.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:53 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

A gentleman in our club literally wrote the book on kids and flyfishing and he stresses safety.
Safety glassses and 9foot rods. The long rod length to help keep flies away from eyes and faces

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 01-16-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:58 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good point, never thought about the length keeping them a little safer. Then again, the only one they seemed to hook was me anyway.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:24 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
My opinion? DON'T GET ONE! I've had 3 5yr olds, they're expensive, needy and interfere with flyfishing! All kidding aside, my kinds all started on an 8'6" 5wt. They all picked it up fairly quickly. Once my boys discovered girls they dropped the flyrods.
probably likewise for my grand daughter, i figure as soon as she hits the big twelve , she's a goner

thanks for all the tips.

don't know for sure if my grand kids will want to learn to fly fish.

they are all of different minds and temperaments .

i do plan to introduce them to the art when and if they seem responsive to the idea.

times they are a changin' so who knows ....

i do have an idea though, i intend to teach at least one of them how to build his own rod, might make a difference in the long haul whether he stays with the sport or not.

my motto is "make it yourself"

buzz

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory
Old 01-25-2012, 04:07 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

I've taught many a kid and here's some ideas I've gleaned over the years. Short and inexpensive is best for beginners as they will likely break the tip off or worse before they are ready to graduate to a longer rod. Sunglasses for eye protection for sure and lots of practice, via a casting pond or lawn with a fluff fly that has no hook. Backing up one step I get them a spin cast reel and what's almost an ice fishing rod as soon sa they show an interest. My two year old Great Grandson already enjoys swinging around his rod, minus the reel but he has the idea already. Soon he'll be casting and somewhere around 5 but no later than 7 he'll be flinging a fly. Those light weight eagle claw rods are superb and at $20 it's hard to beat as a starter rod and they range from 6 to 7.5 feet in length. In cat over the years with kids, then Grandkids and now GGrandkids, I have an assortment of fly rods that have had tips broken but repaired and these usually are pressed into duty until the child in question becomes more aware of keeping that tip safe.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 01-25-2012, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the reply. Those are also good points.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:19 AM

team_fishbusters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
A gentleman in our club literally wrote the book on kids and flyfishing and he stresses safety.
Safety glassses and 9foot rods. The long rod length to help keep flies away from eyes and faces

I ordered this yesterday. Thanks for pointing it out!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:18 PM

aidansdad is on a distinguished road

Hello
is there any role for a practice rod? i habe a 6 yo boy and 3 yo girl
thanks
Old 01-11-2013, 09:50 PM

Echo and Orvis have a good one. Check them out.

Fredy
Old 01-12-2013, 09:38 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I started both of my youngest (son and daughter) out with the "fly and bubble" technique when they were about three. I did this, with them, in still and moving water...They both started out with the same fly rod when they were about five - a Winston 7 1/2', 4wt., fiberglass "Stalker" with a Hardy Featherweight and DT line...

My son Michael, up on the South Fork of the Kern River in Monache Meadows, Golden Trout Wilderness with that rod and his first Golden...

My daughter Ally on the Madison River, MT when she had progressed to a 9', Sage SP, 5wt, at twelve...

Neither of my kids has broken a rod yet...but their old man has...

PT/TB
fredy likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/