The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Youth Fly Fishing

Youth Fly Fishing A place for our younger members to comunicate with each other.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 06:46 PM

fredy is on a distinguished road
Default Opinions for a 5yr old

My son is 5yrs old and wants to fly fish with Daddy
Was wondering what would be a good sized rod to start him out with? It will mainly be used for trout on local streams here in NJ.

8' 5wt? 8' 4wt? 8'6"?

Thanks,
Fredy

Last edited by fredy; 01-13-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:42 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Re: Opinions for a 5yr old

i would give him a 7'9'' three weight cant hit branches with something that short and its light enough for his arm
Old 01-13-2012, 11:59 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Started my son at 3 . Practiced in the yard with a glass 5wt with a wf line . Once I could let go of his arm and he got the feeling on ten or fifteen foot casts took him to the beach and let him make some mistakes with no obstacles. Worked good. Did the same with my grandson and same results(same rod 17 yrs later). Only thing special I did to the rod was cut it down to 6and a half from 8ft.

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 AM ----------

When they get confident and consistent with the sawed off 5th get them an 8ft 5wt. They'll do good with it fast.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:28 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Most 5 y/o's that I've seen fishing haven't advanced past a $14.95 Zebco 4' baitcaster, with a closed-face plastic reel. I'm greatly impressed that he wants to learn to fly fish. My older boy was willing to wait all day for the "big one", but my younger one (they are only 20 months apart) was an "action NOW" kind of fisherman. Usually had to fish in bass/panfish waters with them, so that the older one could work for bass, but the younger one could get a bite on every cast. Between that and rowing, I rarely got to wet a line!!! Funny thing is, those are some of my best fishing memories, and I never cast a line! I did get warned once by a DEC officer for not having my fishing license wih me (in my bathing suit, rowing for them) - and I didn't even have a rod in the boat!!

My younger one (he's 26 now) stopped over the other evening, while I was tying, watched for a while, and he says that he may give fly fishing a try sometime this season with me. That would be fun, as he and I haven't fished together for likely 10 or 12 years!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 01-14-2012, 03:09 PM

This past summer I had hin casting on my first fly rod, it's an old yellow Eagle Claw galss rod 7' 5/6wt (28yrs old!). He was having fun with it, but never hit the water since the attention span was not there yet. I plan on building him a rod over the winter.

I'm surprised there has not been more feedback? I am sure I am not the only guy with a young son looking to fly fish

I was thinking more in the line of a 8' 5wt. I think the 5wt would be easier to cast especialy of he tries nymphing with an indy rig. I could be wrong??

I was self taught, did not have anyone to teach me when I was 12yrs old. I was inspired by watching a couple old timers fly fishing at my local stream. Saved my allowance and purchased my first fly rod form a local sport shop.

Fredy
imxer likes this.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:11 PM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

Try one of the new fiberglass Eagle Claw Featherlight rods -- the 6'6" rod casts nicely with a 5 weight line. Costs less than 30 bucks and seems reasonably impervious to 5 year olds!
Old 01-14-2012, 03:59 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaynes View Post
Try one of the new fiberglass Eagle Claw Featherlight rods -- the 6'6" rod casts nicely with a 5 weight line. Costs less than 30 bucks and seems reasonably impervious to 5 year olds!
my daughter is turning 5 next week and i was planning on getting her a rod to start practice casting with in the back yard this spring. i think a featherweight would be perfect.

casey

ARFE
Old 01-14-2012, 05:59 PM

Wouldn't the Featherlite be a bit heavy for the little ones?
Old 01-16-2012, 01:39 PM

team_fishbusters is on a distinguished road

I've been looking at the Echo Gecko and a Redington rod for my 6-y-o. I'm not sure which would be best, though. Both are 4 wt I believe.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:23 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

My opinion? DON'T GET ONE! I've had 3 5yr olds, they're expensive, needy and interfere with flyfishing! All kidding aside, my kinds all started on an 8'6" 5wt. They all picked it up fairly quickly. Once my boys discovered girls they dropped the flyrods.
wt bash likes this.