The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Youth Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/youth-fly-fishing/)
-   -   bass flies (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/youth-fly-fishing/308030-bass-flies.html)

basshole8 01-15-2013 06:34 PM

bass flies

just wanted to know if you guys have any bass flys that have done you well.

bigjim5589 01-15-2013 08:22 PM

Re: bass flies

First, welcome to this wonderful site! There's some great people here who will certainly give you some superb advise. I've done a lot of bass fishing over the years & have caught both SM & LM bass on many different fly patterns. I've fished quite a bit for bass in brackish, tidal creeks & rivers too, so there's always the possibility for hooking into Striped bass & possibly other salt species that may venture into brackish waters. That often means that multiple species may be caught on the same flies while targeting a specific species. I've caught Stripers numerous times while targeting LM's & vice versa.

It would be easier to give you some suggestions if you could provide some additional info about the type of waters you're intending to fish & if you're interested in Smallmouth Bass or Largemouths.

Since I'm old & have been doing this a long time, I use some of the older patterns/styles that have been around a long time, as well as some newer patterns. They all work, as bass are not particular most of the time.

Here's generally some of fly types that I like to use for bass & have had a lot of success with them

Lefty's Deceivers
Clouser Minnows
Clouser Half & Half's
Seaducers
Murdich Minnows
Goldies
Gurglers
Rabbit Strip Flies
Poppers & Sliders
Crease Flies

I didn't indicate colors, as I've used many, and at times they'll all catch fish. I usually stick to basic colors or combinations as I've not experienced the need to get too complicated with colors for bass. Some that I use a lot are chartreuse & white, all black, olive & white, gray & white, and all white. But, as I said, I've used many & have many colors in my fly boxes.

There are many other flies that I've tried also, too many to list. In the case of flies such as the Rabbit Strip flies I listed, of which there are many, I've never found that one is necessarily any better or worse than another. However, IMO size & lengths can sometimes make a big difference so it's a good idea to have some variety. In the tidal rivers, anything that might imitate worms, snakes or eels can all be deadly for bass, since all of these might be prey the bass will feed on and are imitated very well using rabbit strips.

Frankly, having a variety of sizes is a good idea for any fly type as long as you have the rod or rods to cast them all.

The majority of the flies in my bass boxes are tied on size 2 to 3/0 hooks and from about 2 1/2" to 10" in length. I probably use 1/0 or 2/0 sizes the most, which are flies in the 3 to 6" length range. I tie many of my bass flies on straight shank worm hooks commonly used for plastic worms.

Not sure if this answers your question, but hope it does. :D

Guest1 01-15-2013 08:24 PM

Top of my list is Clousers. Followed by leech patterns, a Steelhead pattern called a Funny Bunny Emerald Shiner, Dahlbergs and poppers.

caseywise 01-15-2013 09:03 PM

first, welcome to the forum:)
as far as bass flies my top 3 are
clousers(i like chartreuse and white)
swimming frog
brown wooly buggers

casey

williamhj 01-15-2013 10:01 PM

Most effective for me have been wooly buggers, black and olive, and clousers. Most fun has to be poppers and deer hair flies, I love surface takes :)

mcnerney 01-15-2013 10:17 PM

I don't get to fish for bass that much but when I do I really like the top water action during the summer months: hoppers, chernolbyl ants, poppers, etc. during the cooler months: wooly buggers, small streamers, minnow patterns. I have found that the take in the summer are very aggressive (making for some really exciting fishing), in the cooler months you really have to pay attention as the takes are very suttle and easy to miss.

basshole8 01-16-2013 06:31 AM

Thank u for your help. Ill be on my vice after school!

il_wi_fishing 01-16-2013 07:50 AM

whistlers

river smallies and pike dont let go of that one

;)

Rip Tide 01-16-2013 08:12 AM

I'm not going to hotlink it cuz it's against NAFFF rules, but there's a forum of warmwater fly fishers from mostly eastern Mass called The Bass Pond that you may be interested in
It's not all that active, but it's local :)

troutchaser8 01-24-2013 12:53 PM

Sneaky Petes, wooly buggers, clousers, and crawfish immitations do well for me.