The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Youth Fly Fishing

Youth Fly Fishing A place for our younger members to comunicate with each other.

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 11:10 AM

fishstick91 is on a distinguished road
Default Fly fishing for school credit?

As I learn more about fly fishing, it strikes me that there may be enormous potential to use fly fishing as a curriculum to teach the physics of fly line momentum, biology of insect life, art of fly tying, geomorphology of rivers, environmental science of conservation, political science of fish & game management, and a myriad of other applied arts and sciences all in a uniquely engaging setting that no other curriculum could offer. In this time when parental choice and flexibility in education has emerged, it seems like the time may be ripe for the design of a certified curriculum based on fly fishing. Is anyone aware of this being done?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:45 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly fishing for school credit?

It's been at Penn State for quite some time!
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-21-2013, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard there's a "flyfishing option" students can choose for the "baccalaureat" in France(A level?)I did some classes about fish,rivers,streams and flyfishing in several highschools...pupils enjoyed them
quote:
As I learn more about fly fishing, it strikes me that there may be enormous potential to use fly fishing as a curriculum to teach the physics of fly line momentum, biology of insect life, art of fly tying, geomorphology of rivers, environmental science of conservation, political science of fish & game management, and a myriad of other applied arts and sciences all in a uniquely engaging setting that no other curriculum could offer

totally agree with you
mcnerney and Nearenuf like this.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:49 PM

fishstick91 is on a distinguished road

That's good news about Penn State, my uncle is a retired prof there. I'll check with him and see if I can get a sylibus. I was thinking of a high school level course, but I bet it would be pretty adaptable.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:03 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Here's a great documentary on the same subject of fly fishing for credit.

I really enjoyed it. I love the lore and historical culture of fly fishing.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:42 AM

swhite1989 is on a distinguished road

I didnt have fly fishing, but I did get to take a fishing class in place of PE Classes. It was meant for people with no knowledge of fishing, but its always nice to go back to the basics. Also, there were plenty of good looking girls in the class!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:45 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Penn State and a fisheries at Mansfield U.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-27-2013, 07:50 AM

tbiii will become famous soon enoughtbiii will become famous soon enough

I believe Missouri State teaches fly fishing elective courses, and I know several high schools in the area are using fly-fishing as an afterschool educational activity.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:27 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

There is a NOLS course involving fly fishing, don't some schools offer credit for NOLS?

It could be a good summer course incorporating a number of disciplines. Sort of like colleges that send students overseas with professors from history, archeology, sociology, biblical studies, econ, etc etc. Fly fishing doesn't seem to be the best way to teach any of the disciplines mentioned in the initial question, but it could be a good way to integrate what is learned in the classroom in a creative, interdisciplinary way.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:34 AM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

I took a flyfishing course here at the University a few years back.

Overall it was rather disappointing, sure if it was all new to me I would have learned a fair amount but the disappointing part was that this is how new anglers are being introduced to the sport. The problem is if you learn new things but you learn wrong, improper and unethical standards from the beginning then it makes sense to why I run into so many disrespectful and law breaking anglers each year.

While I was hoping for a fun and informative class unfortunately this class was by far the worst college course I have ever attended and did not come even close to meeting the standards that the University has had for all other classes I have taken.

Your curriculum sounds kind of similar to what was taught in my class but yet my class was a short, so we went over it rather quick which made it ineffective and nearly worthless.
The only thing that I would like to add to the curriculum is river ethic and proclamation, laws and regulations. These are just a couple things that were not taught in my class that I felt should have been.

There was already plenty of things that were taught in the class that should not have been as well, but I think that comes with the teaching personality.

Great idea especially for younger students, I see the potential of having it be a great thing when taught thoroughly and thoughtfully.

Cheers,
Watson