The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Youth Fly Fishing

Youth Fly Fishing A place for our younger members to comunicate with each other.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 05:19 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about
Default Thinning out the chest

I have accumulated an unmanageable number of flies over the years. If you are one of the up and coming flyfishers reading this forum, here is my offer to you--2 dozen free flies essentially my choice, although I'll entertain requests for certain types of flies--dries, wets, nymphs, and streamers. I will send the flies to you free of charge. My only request is that you consider making a donation to Morris Animal Foundation for cancer research, any amount is fine.

This offer is limited to the first 20 responders. I'll delete the post when the number is reached.
fysh, Liphookedau, jpbfly and 3 others like this.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:21 PM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Thinning out the chest--Free Flies

I want to add a bit of emphasis to the previous post.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:26 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: Thinning out the chest

Great idea. I'm hoping the newbies on here see this!
Old 08-16-2013, 02:44 PM

gregnash will become famous soon enough

That is an awesome gesture and much appreciated as a newbie.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:08 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Way to go! I have been helped out more times then I can count by fellow outdoorsmen (folks). Everything from advice, to loaners, to getting towed out, to free gear when I was coming along. Heck, here on this board I got a load of free stuff from Kayo when I asked for a good source of flytying materials. The unspoken rule is you pay it forward. It could save your life.

Here's a true story to illustrate. (This was in the early nineties, pre-cell phone, at least for me). It was a cold wet (constant drizzle, about 40 degrees in East Central Texas) day. I had gone to a WMA wood duck hunting and gotten my truck righteously stuck. There were oil rigs on the property and when you went to dig under the tires to place brush for traction, the mud was so thick, you couldn't fling it off. It would just stick. You had to scrape each shovel full off with your foot. I'd forgotten my come along and after two hours of inching forward I said screw it. I walked 5 miles to the (barely) two lane road, then started the twenty odd mile walk to town (if you call Dime Box, Texas a town).

It was getting dark and colder, I was drenched with sweat down to my skivvies, my goretex was covered with mud inside and out, and my thermometer on my pack was reading 35 degrees. I hadn't eaten in six hours and had drunk all my water. Shat was getting serious.

At this point, a pick up pulled in. I jumped in the road and waved looking like the swamp thing, or at least a stunt double on Duck Dynasty. Despite all notions of sanity, the driver pulled over, cracked a window and asked if I needed help. I explained, and she let me in the bed and drove me to town. I will never forget that, and have always offered my truck bed or any other help I can give to a fellow outdoorsman. Pay it forward is the way to go. You never know when you'll need to collect, and its best to have those karmic points racked up when the need arises. At the very least, you'll have inspired someone to help out a fellow fisher person.

Last edited by fq13; 08-16-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

glcaddis: Great gesture on your part, I too hope some of the younger members just starting out see this post and take advantage of your offer.

Larry

Old 08-16-2013, 03:25 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Hi glcaddis

If you would consider donating 4 dozen flies or more if you wish to the Utah Casting for Recovery retreats Iíll donate $125 to the Animal Foundation of your choice.

The post by one of this sites moderator mcnerney is in the general discussion area with the heading Utah Casting For Recovery Retreat Needs Help, after he lets me know of your commitment I will send my funds.

Richard Pace
Old 08-16-2013, 03:30 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe move this thread to the general discussion section? That way more folks will read it. Just a thought.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:25 PM

trapstar92 is on a distinguished road

I'm about a month in and would love to take you up on this generous offer! Do you have a link for donation?

Also I'm originally from the Galesburg, IL area! I see you are from my neck of the woods!
Old 08-16-2013, 08:28 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Very generous gesture, a great opportunity for folks starting up.