The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Youth Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/youth-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Tying flies (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/youth-fly-fishing/355015-tying-flies.html)

kylejg29 07-08-2014 04:27 PM

Tying flies

Just wanted to see what everybody thinks about tying their own flies my dad has been trying to teach me and I've been having some trouble anyone know of a good beginner fly for trout mainly browns, bows and brooks?

bigjim5589 07-08-2014 04:53 PM

Re: Tying flies

Many of us here tie. Even if you don't tie all your own, tying is a great skill to learn. Once you master the basic tying techniques, there's many, many fly patterns that can be tried.

For a first fly, a Woolly Worm or Woolly Bugger is a good one, and can be productive for many species.

You might also consider patterns such as foam beetles or ants, which are simple, and again productive for a variety of species. Plus, the materials are easy to find in craft shops or dollar stores. ;)

BTW, welcome to the forum! Any other help we can give just ask! There's never a shortage of good advice here!

mcnerney 07-08-2014 05:03 PM

+1 for what Big Jim stated above. Welcome to the forum and the world of fly tying. Don't hesitate to ask questions when you run into issues with fly tying, we have some really expert fly tiers here on the site that are more than willing to lend a hand.

You might also checkout Charlie Craven's Fly Box, he has a couple hundred fly patterns listed as step-by-steps.
Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

In addition, Charlie Craven has a great book on fly tying that I highly recommend:

Liphookedau 07-08-2014 06:00 PM

Hi Kyle Welcome also to add to what Larry has Posted you will find some good Tutorials on You- Tube especially by Davie McPhail.
The only downer is your Wallet will always feel The Strain.
Brian.

comeonavs 07-08-2014 06:24 PM

Welcome and yes tying is a great way to go, not necessarily cost wise but it adds to the enjoyment of the sport for me.

Feel free to ask a million questions around here, there are tons of world class tiers who frequent these forums. As you get in to the tying part of the sport there are lots of threads here to get you started down a path that works for you.

Tying is not about being cheap and saving money in the sport so ask away , maybe our input can save you a few pennies along the way. I didnt follow my own advice and I have a lot of duplicate materials that can substitute for others, hooks I didnt necessarily need etc etc etc

Fly Tying = Pandora's box

Hardyreels 07-08-2014 06:33 PM

Welcome to the forum,

If you eventually become a streamer fisherman I'll have many a good pattern for you but for now I'll leave it to the members to guide you.

Please don't take some pointers and then forget us because we don't live next door. This is the most comprehensive collection of trout fishing knowledge in the world of internet forums so make yourself a regular and the help will come by the truck load.

Ard