The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Youth Fly Fishing

Youth Fly Fishing A place for our younger members to comunicate with each other.

Like Tree13Likes
  • 5 Post By bigjim5589
  • 2 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By Liphookedau
  • 2 Post By comeonavs
  • 3 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 04:27 PM

kylejg29 is on a distinguished road
Default Tying flies

Just wanted to see what everybody thinks about tying their own flies my dad has been trying to teach me and I've been having some trouble anyone know of a good beginner fly for trout mainly browns, bows and brooks?
Old 07-08-2014, 04:53 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tying flies

Many of us here tie. Even if you don't tie all your own, tying is a great skill to learn. Once you master the basic tying techniques, there's many, many fly patterns that can be tried.

For a first fly, a Woolly Worm or Woolly Bugger is a good one, and can be productive for many species.

You might also consider patterns such as foam beetles or ants, which are simple, and again productive for a variety of species. Plus, the materials are easy to find in craft shops or dollar stores.

BTW, welcome to the forum! Any other help we can give just ask! There's never a shortage of good advice here!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-08-2014, 05:03 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for what Big Jim stated above. Welcome to the forum and the world of fly tying. Don't hesitate to ask questions when you run into issues with fly tying, we have some really expert fly tiers here on the site that are more than willing to lend a hand.

You might also checkout Charlie Craven's Fly Box, he has a couple hundred fly patterns listed as step-by-steps.
Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

In addition, Charlie Craven has a great book on fly tying that I highly recommend:
Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish: Charlie Craven: 9780979346026: Amazon.com: Books Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish: Charlie Craven: 9780979346026: Amazon.com: Books
hairwing530 and kylejg29 like this.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:00 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Hi Kyle Welcome also to add to what Larry has Posted you will find some good Tutorials on You- Tube especially by Davie McPhail.
The only downer is your Wallet will always feel The Strain.
Brian.
kylejg29 likes this.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:24 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Welcome and yes tying is a great way to go, not necessarily cost wise but it adds to the enjoyment of the sport for me.

Feel free to ask a million questions around here, there are tons of world class tiers who frequent these forums. As you get in to the tying part of the sport there are lots of threads here to get you started down a path that works for you.

Tying is not about being cheap and saving money in the sport so ask away , maybe our input can save you a few pennies along the way. I didnt follow my own advice and I have a lot of duplicate materials that can substitute for others, hooks I didnt necessarily need etc etc etc

Fly Tying = Pandora's box
hairwing530 and kylejg29 like this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 07-08-2014, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Welcome to the forum,

If you eventually become a streamer fisherman I'll have many a good pattern for you but for now I'll leave it to the members to guide you.

Please don't take some pointers and then forget us because we don't live next door. This is the most comprehensive collection of trout fishing knowledge in the world of internet forums so make yourself a regular and the help will come by the truck load.

Ard
hairwing530, busbus and kylejg29 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;