The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Youth Fly Fishing

Youth Fly Fishing A place for our younger members to comunicate with each other.

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2014, 03:37 PM

dhs19trout is on a distinguished road
Smile Simple fly patterns

Hi, I'm 11 and would like to tie some good flies. I'm good enough to catch wild trout on my own fly and often go across the street and catch bass up to 3 pounds with my designed patterns. They don't even have to work well because at this stage im only trying to improve my skills and learn more about the art
Old 09-08-2014, 07:34 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of
Default Re: Simple fly patterns

Hi.
All you need to do is go to You -Tube & follow Davie McPhail's tutorials as you'll pick it up quicker than reading any Book however Books are still good as there are always tested Patterns which you don't see elsewhere which The Authors have developed.
Brian.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:16 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Although we as tiers often complicate our flies with the various materials we have available, simple flies are often the most productive as far as catching fish. Doesn't usually matter what species we chase either.

There are literally thousands upon thousands of fly patterns you could learn to tie. At your age I'm betting your resources are limited so stick to patterns that fit your area. Since you've mentioned both trout & bass, there are patterns that can be used for both, primarily by changing hook sizes. Or, there are patterns that can be tied with the same materials for both.

For example, an Elk or Deer Hair Caddis dry fly is a very good trout fly & can be a good bass fly, especially in streams. However, by learning to spin the elk or deer you can make bass bugs or other large dry flies with the same material.

That would allow you to limit the supplies you need & still tie different types of flies & learn additional techniques.

Check out some of the online tutorials such as Liphookedau mentioned or those by Charlie Craven. Go online & browse patterns (Google Images is great) & see if you can find some you would like to tie & use. Pick a few & obtain your materials & go from there. Once you get good at a few patterns, then expand to additional patterns as you can afford to get materials.

Also, and you may already be doing it, don't be afraid to experiment. Just keep it simple & you'll have plenty of flies to fish with & learn as you progress.

When I look for simple patterns, no matter what type I generally search for patterns that use no more than 3 materials. There are many!
fredaevans, markfrid and spm like this.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:34 PM

dakotakid is a name known to alldakotakid is a name known to alldakotakid is a name known to alldakotakid is a name known to alldakotakid is a name known to alldakotakid is a name known to all

A fairly simple, but effective pattern is the Briminator.
http://ultralightflyfishing.com/foru...minator#p18437
I've caught sunfish, largemouth bass, perch, crappie, etc. with this fly.

If you are interested in a popper, you can make a simple one from flip flops that you can buy at the Dollar Store (for obviously $1) or buy foam cylinders.
http://ultralightflyfishing.com/foru...hp?f=94&t=7749
Instead of buying a hole punch, I use a metal tube from a discarded wind chime. I sharpened the edges of the tube with a file and then use a drill to cut out the foam bodies. Be sure to have a scrap board behind the foam (not your hand or a nice furniture surface) to avoid injuring yourself or a table top. At eleven years old, you probably don't have your own drill, so it's a good time to team up with an older brother, older sister, your dad or grandfather to create the foam bodies if you go the flip flop route.

Click the image to open in full size.

You've probably noticed that unlike the popper link, I don't bother with hackle or the plastic eyes. The poppers are effective without those extra components.
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:13 PM

darwin is a glorious beacon of lightdarwin is a glorious beacon of lightdarwin is a glorious beacon of lightdarwin is a glorious beacon of lightdarwin is a glorious beacon of lightdarwin is a glorious beacon of light

This set of videos by David Cammiss is geared towards the beginner. Good flies and skills worth knowing.
https://www.youtube.com/user/topflyman/videos
dakotakid likes this.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:23 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Simple fly patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin View Post
This set of videos by David Cammiss is geared towards the beginner. Good flies and skills worth knowing.
https://www.youtube.com/user/topflyman/videos
Excellent link for simple but effective. Only thing I'd add is go to 'wide screen' on your computer or lap top so you can really see what's going on.

Just trust me on this one.

Fred
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:14 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

It's nice to see young tyer asking questions and you have gotten some good advice from the members.
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:30 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

An extremely simple fly to tie, and is darned effective for almost anything, is a simple black chenille body with split rubber legs out the back, one or two coming out about 1/3'rd of the way back from the eye of the hook. Two schools of thought here: Just one over the top (tie down and over lay with the chenille) or two on each side of the hook.

Here tie a rubber leg on each side to the hook, chenille up tight behind and through the middle to lock down, then chenille up to where you'll tie in the fly's head.

One more take is just below the eye tie in another double rubber leg so it will point forward over the eye of the hook.

In simple terms, we here on the Rogue, call these an 'Otis Bug.' Colour of the chenille can be anything you want but 'dark' is best (Root beer is Killer!)

Fred
mridenour and weiliwen like this.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:31 AM

longbow42 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
An extremely simple fly to tie, and is darned effective for almost anything, is a simple black chenille body with split rubber legs out the back, one or two coming out about 1/3'rd of the way back from the eye of the hook. Two schools of thought here: Just one over the top (tie down and over lay with the chenille) or two on each side of the hook.

Here tie a rubber leg on each side to the hook, chenille up tight behind and through the middle to lock down, then chenille up to where you'll tie in the fly's head.

One more take is just below the eye tie in another double rubber leg so it will point forward over the eye of the hook.

In simple terms, we here on the Rogue, call these an 'Otis Bug.' Colour of the chenille can be anything you want but 'dark' is best (Root beer is Killer!)

Fred
That sounds like a simple but effective pattern, Thanks.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:41 PM

Location: South Florida & the White Mountains of New Hampshire
MAD777 is a jewel in the roughMAD777 is a jewel in the roughMAD777 is a jewel in the roughMAD777 is a jewel in the rough

I'm a huge fan of David McPhail on you-tube. His voice and manner is so soothing, that I watch his videos when I come home from work all stressed out. I not even watching to learn the fly, he just relaxes me! Lol

Mike