The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Youth Fly Fishing

Youth Fly Fishing A place for our younger members to comunicate with each other.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2014, 08:10 AM

mdogs444 is on a distinguished road
Default Help on buying a youth rig

Hi All -

I'm looking to buy my 9yr old niece is youth fly outfit for her birthday in a few weeks. She is big into bass fishing on ponds, so i'll need something heavier than a 4/5wt.

Any suggestions on a good, inexpensive combo? I'd like something easy for her to learn on and cast, and fast enough to toss out big topwater bass bugs.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2014, 08:32 AM

longbow42 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help on buying a youth rig

I bought my 11 year old sone a Reddington outfit a few months back. I think it was around $230 and included a reel and line. It is a 5 wt, 8.5' with matching line. He has used it for bass and panfish across the street.
I just got him a nice little 3 wt rod with a Battenkill reel. I would sell the Reddington outfit for $100 if you are interested. It's a nice little beginner setup. Regardless, good luck.
imroc likes this.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:56 AM

horsehead is just really nicehorsehead is just really nicehorsehead is just really nicehorsehead is just really nice

Sierra Trading Post has several rod/reel combos from Redington and others available right now, if you sign up for their email, I think they send you a 30% off coupon. Not sure if there's anything heavier than a 5wt though.

Longbow's offer may be a a great deal for what you're describing...

I don't know how adept your daughter is, but I don't know if a 9 year old will have the strength / mechanics to get a large benefit from a 7 or 8 wt. might be easier to just toss smaller flies on a 5wt to smaller fish and still have a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fredaevans likes this.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:09 AM

plecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to beholdplecain is a splendid one to behold

I'd stay away from the heavy rods, too.

How big are these bass? I've caught 3-4# trout and 2-3# bass with a 2 wt. with no problems. Just use heavier tippet.

Just yesterday I used a 00wt. rod on my local bass pond. The biggest I caught was a little over a pound, but rods are a lot stronger than you'd think.
fredaevans likes this.

--Paul
Old 09-13-2014, 11:11 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Help on buying a youth rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
I'd stay away from the heavy rods, too.

How big are these bass? I've caught 3-4# trout and 2-3# bass with a 2 wt. with no problems. Just use heavier tippet.

Just yesterday I used a 00wt. rod on my local bass pond. The biggest I caught was a little over a pound, but rods are a lot stronger than you'd think.
Roger That.

You can easily 'protect' the rod with something as simple as the break point of the leader tippet material.

Fred
Old 09-13-2014, 11:13 AM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

I agree with not using stiff rods for kids, They need light rods, use heavy leader.

ww grig and an okuma with a box of good bass bugs will cost you less than a "c" note at Sportsman's warehouse.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

I'm not going to suggest a rod but something else; be sure that whatever you get has a rod tube or make one for it if it doesn't come with. Teaching someone how to fly fish is a wonderful thing to do, perhaps it will stick with her for life. Including the lesson that keeping the cherished rod in a tube when not in use will avoid trouble in the long run. Removing a rod from tube and assembling it before fishing is part of the experience and to be diligent in disassembling the rod and putting it away after use signals the end of the days fishing.

Hope you have a wonderful time with her out there on the ponds,

Ard
flywatersmallie likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-14-2014, 09:24 AM

rockriver has much to be proud ofrockriver has much to be proud ofrockriver has much to be proud ofrockriver has much to be proud ofrockriver has much to be proud ofrockriver has much to be proud ofrockriver has much to be proud ofrockriver has much to be proud ofrockriver has much to be proud of

Cabela's usually have some type of deal going on.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:12 AM

kuch is on a distinguished road

I recently bought my son a Redington Classic trout 8'-6" 5wt from Cabela's for $75 and paired it up with a Lamson Konic II size 2 reel from Sierra Trading for $90. A great decent quality rod and reel for well under $200 that I actually enjoy fishing with as well.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:31 AM

kicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura about

sorry for the late response to this thread, it wasnt until a few days ago i also started looking for a set up for my 9 year old nephew. he has been begging me to take him fishing, so what better way then to get him his own set up. i did some research on "youth" set ups and there really wasnt any significant difference in a "youth" rod compared to a normal one when you look at rod length or action. so i decided on a rod based on where and what we were going after, small streams and ponds, bluegill/trout/small bass. ended up finding the cheapest short rod i could find, 7'6 Shakespeare, and a off name aluminum reel, found both items off ebay for a total of $12 (including shipping). the outlook for going cheap was i know how destructive he can be, so if he breaks his set up then im not out anything. also, the fantastic thing about kids are they arent absorbed by the lasted-greatest gear and can learn fundimentals of casting/fishing. when he gets older that will completely change but for now that wont matter.
Ard is absoluetly right !