The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Youth Fly Fishing

Youth Fly Fishing A place for our younger members to comunicate with each other.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By jpbfly
  • 2 Post By Rip Tide
  • 2 Post By CutThroat Leaders
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By grtlksmarlin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2014, 01:16 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about
Default Need youth waders

Been shopping for waders for my 11 year old son, his Christmas present. He's a 10/12 now. Would like to buy up a size. Men's small is too big, so need a youth size. Orvis, as a company is out of anything that fits him. Any other good suggestions?

Thanks,

Todd
Old 11-24-2014, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need youth waders

I think Redington makes youth waders...check that
ts47 likes this.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:43 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Cabela's has kid's waders
My son wore the 3Forks bootfoots until he grew out of them...didn't take long
Put a hole in them the first day too. But that's what kids do.
fredaevans and ts47 like this.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:26 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

I got my son Cabelas waders, 3-forks (boots attached). I bought much bigger than required as he grows like a weed. We have gotten 2 years out of them so far. He has been tough on them and we have had good success.

If you do not duck hunt (need neoprene), I recommend against getting neoprene as they are difficult to get on and off. I gave them to him as a gift, but that was selfish as it was really a gift for myself... more time fishing.

good luck.

link below
Youth Waders, Youth Chest Wader Boots, Youth Fishing : Cabela's
fredaevans and ts47 like this.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 11-24-2014, 09:32 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

We had to buy him a pair of wading boots during a recent steelhead trip. So, I am hoping to find some stocking foot waders.

I see the Redington Youth waders at Cabelas. Looking at the sizing chart, They appear to be sized for a really skinny kid with small feet! I'm on hold waiting for the online customer service chat at Cabelas confirming I can return them if they don't fit.

I'm still open to suggestions if someone other than Redington has waders I should consider.

Thanks,

Todd
Old 11-25-2014, 06:19 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

One other possible option is look a 'women sizing' waders.
ts47 likes this.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
One other possible option is look a 'women sizing' waders.

Thanks Fred!

This is a good suggestion. The only stocking foot waders I can find are Redington for $99 and Simms for $199. I think I'm going to order the Redingtons and hope the sizing is a little off. Cabelas has promised to take them back if they don't fit. Redington also sells a youth sized vest I may try.

If they don't fit, The next step would be to try a women's size.

Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2014, 10:48 AM

grtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to all

The WaderUSA site suggests buying breathable waders based upon inseam, and that you should get them 3-4" longer than your actual measurement. The reason being when you squat down or sit, and the measurement worked perfectly for me using that advice....In fact it explains why other waders I've purchased including neoprene have been restrictive.

Next, women's chest waders often take into account some extra form fitting for breasts and hips. So it's not just a cut and dry size thing. As an example, women's on the left, men's right.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Their small $99 FroggTogg Hellbender chest waders (which I absolutely love mine) are listed as being for an adult 6-8 shoe size, and having a 34" inseam (so meaning to let him grow some a 28" inseam would mean he'd have 2" to grow into them).

Check WaderUSA and see what they can fix you up with. I've found them to be a solid company in my transaction.

B.E.F.
ts47 likes this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:57 PM

Found a local fly shop with the Redington in stock. I'll take my son in to try them on.