The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Youth Fly Fishing

Youth Fly Fishing A place for our younger members to comunicate with each other.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By ts47

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2015, 11:05 AM

ts47 is a jewel in the roughts47 is a jewel in the roughts47 is a jewel in the roughts47 is a jewel in the rough
Default BSA Fly Fishing Merit Badge - idea...

I pondered posting this in the General section. If mods think it should be there feel free to move it.

If you are a Merit Badge Instructor, OR looking to get youth involved in the sport, OR looking for a way to possibly bring membership to your club, OR just want to do something nice for deserving kids that may not have another way to experience this sport and the outdoor experiences it has to offer - here is an idea for you.

BSA Merit Badge Instructors can sign off on Boy Scout requirements for ANY Boy Scout in ANY area. They just need to be certified in their district, have completed their training and have their Youth Protection up to date. I mention this because I know I am not the only Fly Fishing Merit Badge Instructor on the forum. FYI... This came directly from BSA.

I have been asked by the someone putting on a large youth program (250 kids with Boy Scouts mixed in) in my area to participate and sign off on requirements for those Scouts that are participating.

If you want to get involved or put on your own program, you do NOT need to be associated with BSA, nor do the teachers for the class. What you need is to follow the BSA requirements that are available on line and have at least one BSA certified Merit Badge Instructor PRESENT to sign off on requirements.

This could be a great opportunity to build membership in your club, do something worthwhile or just do something really great for a Boy Scout! This could even be used as an idea to bring in more youth and recruit for your Troop.

If you don't know a Merit Badge Instructor, you can Google BSA in your area and call to find one. If you are one already, this is a way you could reach a larger group of kids. Any way you look at it, it's a win-win for you and our youth!

Todd
mcnerney, theboz and GrtLksMarlin like this.

Good things come to those who wade...
Old 04-04-2015, 09:45 AM

ts47 is a jewel in the roughts47 is a jewel in the roughts47 is a jewel in the roughts47 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: BSA Fly Fishing Merit Badge - idea...

Just in case anyone is interested, I double posted this. The is a lot more discussion in this thread: Idea for getting youth involved...

Good things come to those who wade...