The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Youth Fly Fishing

Youth Fly Fishing A place for our younger members to comunicate with each other.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default How many of you tie flies?

Just wanted to see how many fly tyers we have out there.

How many of you guys and gals tie?

What are your favorite patterns to tie?
Old 10-16-2010, 08:57 PM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How many of you tie flies?

Mark, I tie (or I should say I attempt). You know as you have handled many of my flies. I like to tie the Elk Hair Caddis. I hope to perfect it one day. I bought a new Renzetti Vise so hopefully this winter I;ll get better.

Thanks for all you do for us concerning Fly Swaps, Posting Pics and always doing things to peak our interests.

Best Regards, Boser
Old 10-16-2010, 11:00 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

I tie flies (when I have time). But I only tie flies for bass, pike/musky, and panfish. I buy the flies I use for trout.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You Know I do.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-17-2010, 08:32 AM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

Hello,
I am new to here and last time I asked all of your suggestions about a reel. I really enjoy reading so many of your stories and suggestions and what have you. I have been fly fishing and tying about 4 years.

Anyway, I tied my own flies first of all because it is fun. And what really prompted me was that there are not many carp flies out there which last year I want to have them so much.
Another reason is that there are lots of fly patterns that worked for the area that I am fishing. Usually I can not get those patterns from local fly shops.
And another reason is that when I visited local fly shops, some popular patterns were gone because some anglers horded the entire inventory of a certain fly, for example, blue wing olive last spring.
I tied enough flies when fishing and sometimes it is fun to share my flies with other anglers.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Mark: You know I tie, but I don't tackle small dries anymore (the eye sight just doesn't make that possible) and I have yet to tackle the articulated streamers (I need to tackle that one).

Larry
Old 10-18-2010, 10:54 AM

MacFly55 will become famous soon enoughMacFly55 will become famous soon enough

I put materials on a hook and hope it looks right.. .if that is fly tying then I am guilty as charged..
Old 10-18-2010, 01:10 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm having a hard time believing that some of the responders to this thread and the corresponding poll are "youths"
Old 10-18-2010, 02:23 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I'm having a hard time believing that some of the responders to this thread and the corresponding poll are "youths"
Ha Ha I wondered the same thing... I guess it's a chase of "your as young as you feel."
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 10-18-2010, 06:21 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Guilty! I usually tie for one or two hours a night during the summer. Drops off during spring and fall, but picks up greatly during the winter. I've told my local fly shop he is welcome to call on me should he ever have supplier problems

There is nothing like observing nature (what's hatching on a given day), going home that evening and tying up something that appears to imitate that natural and then returning to catch a fish on that creation. I consider that full circle in fly fishing.

Kelly.